Hamburger steak is an easy recipe for a busy weeknight or serve it when you have friends and family over anytime.
My family loves hamburger steak and it is such a comfort food. There are so many different variations but this is our favorite. We love this steak served with the gravy over mashed potatoes because it just seems to go together. This recipe is perfect for a busy night and it’s such a hearty dish. It’s a classic that never disappoints! If you love this dish you will also love our Hamburger Goulash!
Hamburger Steak Ingredients Needed:
Gravy Ingredients Needed:
Onion soup mix
Can of mushroom pieces
Flour leftover from dredging steaks.
Such great recipe feedback on this one! It’s one of our most popular recipes:
“Your hamburger steak and gravy is one of my absolute favorite. I have made these so many times, never get tired of them. My family loves them”-Betty
“AMAZING! Made this tonight. We both really loved it. Great flavor. We will be making this in the future!” – Rachelle
“I made this last Sunday and it was great…only difference was I didn’t have the onion soup so just made my usual pan gravy and it was awesome. Hubby and son ate it up along with some muffins, mashed potatoes and green beans cooked with bacon. YUM!” – BC
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Hamburger Steak and Gravy
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 4 ounce can mushroom pieces drained
- Flour leftover from dredging steaks.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced onion, oats. (I mix this up with my hands) Make into about 4 hamburger steaks and dredge in the 1/4 cup flour. Heat oil in skillet and brown steaks on both sides. Remove to a plate. Make gravy.
- Add the gravy "fixins" to your skillet, bring to a boil, stirring to mix well. Add steaks back to the skillet, turn heat to simmer and let cook about 30 to 35 minutes on low heat.