This brown sugar meatloaf recipe has a sweet and sour flavor and my family loves it. This is a recipe you definitely want to try. This twist on a classic will change the way you make meatloaf. Add this one to your “must make” list. Wonderful reviews! I recently made this so we could update the photos on this recipe. I honestly think this may be the best meatloaf recipe! It is wonderful with mashed potatoes on the side. If you haven’t tried this recipe you really should.
Brown Sugar Meatloaf Ingredients needed:
Liquid smoke (optional)
Meatloaf Sauce Ingredients needed
This is one of our most popular recipes and has been a staple in our home for many years. When we added this recipe to our website many years ago, we were so pleased with how many of you loved it.
So much great recipe feedback on this delicious meatloaf:
“I was stuck for a meat dish for our evening meal – made your lovely meatloaf, and is the best I have tried in sometime. Also the sauce just made it too!! I presume you could halve this also if you wish not to use the quantity in the recipe. It was very tasty, and so filling – also it made a large meatloaf, enough for another meal, or those extra unexpected guests.” – Heather
“Made this couple of weeks ago for Sunday dinner. Very good. It’s my go-to meat loaf recipe!” – Joyce
“I just made this yesterday and it was amazing! I left out the celery and used a 9×5″ loaf pan. Can’t wait for leftovers tonight!” – Karen
“Thank you so much! My family told me not to make my meatloaf anymore, they didn’t care for it. So last night when I said I made meatloaf for supper they gave me a look. Then they started asking when it would be done, cause it smelled good. They loved it! All that was left was enough for two sandwiches for lunch. Thank you again for saving supper.” – Kim
Full recipe in printable recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Brown Sugar Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats uncooked
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1/3 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke Optional
- Several drops hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce, divided (Save the other half for the sauce)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce the other half of the 8 ounce can
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Mix all the above ingredients together in a large bowl. Shape into a loaf, place in casserole dish and bake uncovered in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Remove meatloaf after 30 minutes and pour sauce over the top.
- Raise oven temperature to 375 degrees and return meatloaf to oven. Cook 35 more minutes. Serve any leftover sauce in pan over individual meatloaf slices.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!Don’t Forget to Pin! © The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.