This buttermilk macaroni and cheese recipe will quickly become a favorite. This is a super easy recipe for macaroni and cheese. I grew up eating macaroni and cheese baked so of course, it’s my favorite. I know so many people enjoy a more creamy stovetop style but for me, I love it baked. This recipe was an experiment that turned out great. I now make it for many family gatherings and Sunday dinners. The buttermilk adds to the creaminess and the Gouda cheese and smoked paprika gives it a bit of a smokey flavor. It’s so good!
Ingredients Needed for Buttermilk Macaroni and Cheese:
Elbow macaroni pasta
Shredded sharp cheddar
If you like this recipe, then you may also like our macaroni and cheese casserole.
This dish would also be a wonderful addition to any holiday meal. Super easy to make and loaded in flavor. This dish is a little different from a traditional macaroni and cheese. We love to play with ingredients and this one turned out fantastic. Our family loves the baked style macaroni and cheese and this one is now added to our rotation.
You probably won’t be able to find shredded gouda, so you will need to shred it yourself. Gouda is a great cheese and it taste great in this dish.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking, and relaxing immediately! Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Buttermilk Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded gouda cheese
- 3 teaspoons of butter
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Cook pasta according to directions on the package and drain. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Mix macaroni noodles, 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup of gouda cheese, butter and seasonings together in a bowl.
- Pour into baking dish. Pour buttermilk over top of macaroni and stir. Top with remaining cheese. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Then uncover and bake another 10 minutes.
Don’t forget to pin our Buttermilk Macaroni and Cheese:
Follow us on Instagram.
Follow us on Pinterest.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without the written permission of the copyright holder.