Easy Sour Cream Coconut Cake - TSLCThis Easy Sour Cream Coconut Cake is so good and keeps well in a cool place for several days.  I love coconut and can’t leave this cake alone when I make it.  Great cake with coffee or as a dessert your friends and family will love.

1 (18.25 ounce) box classic white cake mix with pudding in the mix

4 tablespoons butter, melted

3 eggs

1 cup sour cream

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon coconut extract

1 cup sweetened flaky coconut

Mix together all ingredients except coconut with mixer.  Fold in coconut with spoon.  Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes checking center to make sure it is done as ovens vary.

3 cups powdered sugar

1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened

1 teaspoon coconut extract

2 to 3 tablespoons milk

1 cup sweetened flaky coconut

Mix all ingredients except coconut with mixer. Spread over cooled cake.  Sprinkle on coconut.

Easy Sour Cream Coconut Cake - TSLC

Don’t Forget to Pin!  Easy Sour Cream Coconut Cake

You may also like:

Coconut Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Pineapple Banana Cake with Coconut Frosting

Coconut Cake with Coconut Frosting

Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter buttons below.  You can print by clicking on the printer icon below.

Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss new posts when they come out! Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have more than 26,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder

1. why do I have to get all this extra stuff to get a simple recipe it copied all 18 pages all I wanted was the recipe

It says below every recipe on each page to click on the green printer icon at the bottom of the page. You will be able to remove the photo and any text you don’t want and print only the recipe. This is posted on every page on the site. It is right next to the Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest Icons.

2. Shirley Moser says:

I like the frozen coconut and not the longer string kind. Would that work with this cake?

3. Some of you have mentioned using coconut milk. Are you using coconut milk from a can or from the dairy in a carton?

4. GALE BARNETT says:

I love this recipe. Tired French Vanilla Cake Mix and it was a rich and moist. Thanks.

5. CARLOS CORTES says:

Wife just made me this cake for my 40th birthday. It tastes as good as it looks! No doubt about that.

Thank you Carlos!

• Jean Thompson says:

This cake looks delicious!! I don’t buy cake mixes at the grocery store due to all the chemicals in it. I get my boxed cake mixes at a Whole Foods store,. however they don’t have it with pudding in the mix.. Is it ok to use a mix without it?

I have not tried it that way but I would think it would be ok Jean.

6. Yum looks delicious and I will make it!

• I didn’t have a cake mix with pudding in it so I just added a box of instant pudding. Delish! This cake is so moist yet substantial. Does not taste like it came from a box.

Thank you so much Denise. So happy you enjoyed this recipe. Have a great weekend.

• Patricia (Trish) Thornton says:

Jean, just add a box of instant vanilla pudding to the cake mix.

7. Marilyn Franco says:

Made this today. Delicious. This one’s a keeper

8. Patricia Meyer says:

This sounds like the “Secret Coconut Cake Mix” that I have been looking for, cannot wait to try it. Thanks for the info.

9. Can reduced fat sour cream, cream cheese, and milk be used in this recipe? Also, could “All White” egg whites be used?

10. I noticed it said just to spray the pan with cooking spray. You don’t have to flour the pan?

I never flour my baking pans anymore. I just use the cooking spray and it works wonderfully for me, Bonnie.

11. Sharla Arter says:

I am addicted to coconut so rest assured my next cake will be this one

12. Since it is a white cake, are you using the whole egg, or just the whites? Also, there is no butter in the frosting. Is that correct?

13. Geraldine Transiskus says:

Looks so good!!! I’m going to make this..

14. I made this cake recipe this am, didn’t want a 9×13 cake, so cut the recipe in half. I’ve done this with other recipes and all come out perfect. Just measure out half the cake mix, one less egg and half all other ingredients.

15. Would this work as cupcakes?

16. If you make this the day before, should it be kept in the refrigerator until time to eat?

It should be ok for one day out of the refrigerator if you keep it in a cool place and not a hot room or something.

17. This was the easiest recipe to follow- pudding in the mix means pudding in the mix!!! Haha!! Some people. Anyway thanks for sharing.. This will be on my Christmas dessert table! So yummy!!

18. just made this tonight but only had a devils food cake…followed the rest of instructions…came out moist and fantastic!! It’s a keeper, thanks 🙂

19. Shirley Lindsey says:

I think any yellow cake recipe would work. I make all from scratch as well.

20. Would this recipe work in 8 in round cake pans

21. Can you please tell me what cake mix with pudding is? Is it like a mousse or what we call blancmange here in the UK?

It is just a cake mix that has dry pudding mix in the cake mix.

• diane brown says:

I put a box of instant pudding in every cake I make and add about 1/3 cup of water extra from what cake mix requires. Makes my cake real moist.

• I made it and added the box of pudding, but not extra water! It fell! I’ll try adding the water next time, it was delicious though!

22. Made this for Thanksgiving & everyone loved it. I used a yellow cake mix instead of white and used coconut milk instead of regular. I was moist & delicious. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!!!

• GALE BARNETT says:

This wonderful with 1 cup of coconut milk in cake and rest in frosting. Add chopped pecans for a fast Italian Cream Cake topped with coconut and pecans.

23. Everyone loved it @our Thanksgiving feast! I substituted vanilla extract for the coconut.

24. Could you use vanilla extract instead of coconut extract?

25. Could you use a yellow cake mix instead?

26. Since most cake aren’t pudding cake mixes anymore, do you just add a box of vanilla pudding into the cake mix? Re: sour cream coconut cake…….

27. If I cann’ find a cake mix with the pudding in it, can I use a box of vanilla pudding instead?