This Do Nothing Cake is a very old fashioned cake your family will love. This dessert gets its name because it originated in the 1940’s and recipes were usually made from scratch, had a lot of ingredients, and hard to make. This one is very easy, takes no time to throw it together, and is so delicious. You just mix this one with a spoon. It makes a great dessert to take to any event and is wonderful for any holiday gathering. You will get asked for the recipe over and over again and you won’t have any leftovers to take home. My family loves this cake and it is one of our favorites. You might also enjoy our recipe for this fabulous lemon cake.
Ingredients Needed for Do Nothing Cake:
White granulated sugar
Crushed pineapple with juice (do not drain)
Frosting for cake:
White granulated sugar
Chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
Recipe Notes: The original recipe calls for 2 cups sugar in the cake. I use only 1 cup and the cake is plenty sweet. I also make my frosting with 1 1/2 cups coconut instead of just one.
If you don’t enjoy getting out the mixer to make a cake this is the one for you! You even add the frosting while the cake is still hot which is a huge time saver. This cake is perfect for when you need a quick and delicious dessert. I highly recommend this wonderful old fashioned recipe.
Recipe Comments: “I’m convinced this is the best cake on the planet! I rarely make any other dessert but this one. Thank you for sharing your recipes!”-Sharon
“I made this cake about 2 weeks ago for the first time. My husband said it’s probably his new favorite cake. We LOVED it!”-Brenda
If you like this cake, you may want to try the Elvis Presley Cake. It’s DELICIOUS!
Are you reading our digital publication, Front Porch Life? It’s full of country living, easy recipes, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, relaxing, and cooking right away! Join 1000’s of others and start right now.
Do Nothing Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice (do not drain)
- 1 stick butter or 8 tablespoons or 1/2 cup
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla extract and pineapple. Stir with a spoon to combine all ingredients. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray and add batter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 -35 minutes until the center tests done. Make frosting below and poke holes in hot cake with a wooden spoon.
- Bring butter, sugar and milk to a boil in a pan on top of the stove. Cook and stir about 3 minutes. Remove from stove and stir in nuts and coconut. Pour over hot cake.
Don’t forget to pin!
Click here to follow us on Instagram.© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.