This delicious Mexican Tater Tot Casserole was submitted to The Supper Club and by Julia Reffner from North Chesterfield, VA. As soon as this recipe came in we knew we had to make it. If you have followed out site for any amount of time you know we love tater tot recipes! We have never made a Mexican version so this was a real treat.
Mexican Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients Needed:
Mexican Cheese Blend
We loved that you combine the salsa, corn, taco seasoning with the meat and you actually use the sour cream in the dish and not as a topping. This casserole was really good and it reheats very well. We had it for a few nights and everyone loved it. This casserole comes together very quickly and the best part.. you only need ONE pan to make it. You use one skillet and then a 9X13 dish, so not a lot of clean up, which is a win win!
It’s perfect for a busy night and we will definitely add this recipe to our rotation. Thank you so much Julia Reffner for sending this great recipe!
What you can change or add to this delicious dish:
- You can switch up the meat, use ground pork, ground chicken or ground turkey. If you are looking for more protein and less fat ground chicken or ground turkey would be the best option.
- You use the hashbrowns frozen which saves time. This dish comes together very quickly.
- You can add other toppings like green chilis, Rotel tomatoes, green peppers and onions.
- You could easily add black or pinto beans to the meat mixture.
- Switch up the cheese to your liking.
- You can top it with fresh cilantro before serving.
We are really enjoying all of the wonderful recipes we have received during the summer session of The Supper Club. The response has been amazing and we are so grateful to everyone who has participated. The emails we receive from the group saying how much they love their weekly recipes has been so rewarding. We are blessed with the most amazing followers. If you are interested in The Supper Club, sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know when we are accepting new members!
If you love this dish you need to check out these!
- Tater Tot Sausage Casserole – This dish is a hearty breakfast casserole that has wonderful reviews and great for brunch or any gathering. We especially love it during the holiday season.
- Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole – This dish is a great main dish that is easy to throw together and can also be made with ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Ham and Tater Tot Casserole – This dish is a wonderful way to use leftover ham and my family loves this one.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- l lb ground beef
- 1 10-oz package frozen corn
- 1 packet taco seasoning or homemade version
- 1 16 ounce jar of salsa
- 8 oz Mexican cheese blend
- 1 16 oz container sour cream
- 32 ounce bag of frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brown ground beef in a medium skillet. (*Also good with ground turkey.)
- Add taco seasoning, salsa, and frozen corn to ground beef and mix well to reheat in skillet.
- Spread nonstick spray on a 9x13' pan.
- Spread beef & corn mixture in bottom of 9x13 pan.
- Spoon sour cream over beef, use a spatula to spread like frosting over the top of the mixture.
- Layer half the package of cheese on the sour cream.
- Top the casserole with a layer of tater tots.
- Place the remainder of the cheese on top of the tater tots.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 45 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.