How to make sweetened condensed milk as a substitute if you run out is so easy if you have evaporated milk on hand. You only need 3 ingredients and a little time. I usually keep evaporated milk on hand in the cupboard but for some reason never have the sweetened condensed milk. This recipe makes a little over a cup of sweetened condensed milk. You can use it in recipes that call for the real thing. If you make this sweetened condensed milk, it will keep in the refrigerator about 4 or 5 days just like the canned type.
Is there a difference between evaporated milk and condensed milk?
There is a difference in evaporated milk and condensed milk. The evaporated milk has about sixty per cent of the water removed by evaporation, is darker in color than regular milk and is used in gravies and sauces and as a substitute for cream in sweetening coffee and teas. Sweetened condensed milk has sugar added and is used in pies, candies and baking. DON’T SUBSTITUTE ONE FOR THE OTHER. They both come in cans and will spoil easily once opened if not refrigerated.
We often will receive this question: Do you use sweetened condensed milk or unsweetened? There is only sweetened condensed milk.. that is what makes it.. the addition of the sugar. To learn more about this process you can read our article Evaporated Milk vs Condensed Milk.
Three Simple Ingredients Needed
- evaporated milk
- vanilla extract
If you are a dessert maker then you know condensed milk is an ingredient you use quite frequently. We love making these 3 ingredient macaroons, they are simple and so good! Here a few more of our favorite recipes that included condensed milk.
- Atlantic Beach Pie – this is a fantastic dessert
- Pralines and Cream Ice Cream – a summer favorite
- Pumpkin Spice Creamer – perfect for Fall
- Caramel Pecan Bars – great addition to any potluck!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
How to Make Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the three ingredients in a sauce pan on top of the stove. Bring to a boil on medium heat and continue cooking for 20-25 minutes stirring often or will burn and may overflow the pan.
- Cook this kind of like you would homemade gravy. It will rise and fall while cooking just like gravy. You can tell when it begins to thicken. You don't want it too thick as it will continue thickening as it cools.
- Twenty minutes was perfect for me. It may take some shorter or longer periods depending on how hard it is boiling.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.