This recipe for Pineapple Casserole is a family favorite. This southern classic is a dish that you must try, it is a wonderful side dish.
How Delicious is Pineapple Casserole?
This dish is very different, some may say unique, but that is what makes it delicious. The ingredients are an odd combination but they work and I assure you this is a dish you need to add to your recipe list. First lets get to the ingredients:
- Can of crushed pineapple in pineapple juice
- Can of mandarin oranges (see more below)
- White granulated sugar
- All purpose flour
- Shredded sweetened coconut
- Shredded cheddar cheese – yes.. CHEESE
- Pineapple juice from canned pineapple
- Ritz Crackers
So a few things about our casserole that is different than most is the addition of the coconut and the mandarin oranges. We love these additions but you could always substitute the oranges for another fruit, such as cherries or you can just add another can of pineapple. We love the combination of the oranges, pineapple and coconut.
It really goes so well with ham and is a wonderful side dish for Easter or Christmas. This southern pineapple casserole is so easy to make and the buttery cracker topping is so good. Now.. some people don’t add the pecans either, but I think they add to the casserole.
Is this casserole a side dish or a dessert?
This dish can be a side dish or a dessert because it is sweet! I can honestly just eat it by itself, that is how delicious this dish is.. but we usually serve it as a side for the holidays. If we have new guests at the table, and they have never had this dish, they always ask for the recipe. They are blown away at how easy it is and how it goes with just about everything.
“I served this at a barbecue supper and it was a big hit with everyone. This will become one of my favorite dishes for family and friends.” – Georgeanne
Tips and Recipe Notes:
- I suggest using the crushed pineapple but you can use the chunks, we just prefer the crushed.
- Canned pineapple works best in this recipe as the sweetness from fresh can vary.
- Add the cheese you will be happy you did.
- You can leave out the coconut if you don’t like it.
- This casserole keeps for a few days in the fridge and can easily be reheated in the microwave or the stove. Just cover with foil and heat on 350 for 10-15 minutes.
If you get asked to bring a dish to a holiday gathering this is a great one to take! It’s unique and delicious. You may also love these dishes too:
- Pineapple Ham Cheese Ball – great addition to any gathering.
- Pineapple Praline Fluff – this is a winner!
- Classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake – can’t go wrong with this one!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained (save 1/4 cup juice)
- 1 15 ounce can mandarin oranges, drained (You can substitute another 20 ounce can of pineapple chunks or cherries, peaches or whatever fruit you like)
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut Optional
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice from the crushed pineapple above
- 1 stick butter or margarine or 8 tablespoons or 1/2 cup melted
- 40 to 50 Ritz crackers crushed
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts Optional
- In a large mixing bowl combine the crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges, sugar, flour, coconut, shredded cheese and pineapple juice. Mix well
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray and spread pineapple mixture into the dish.
- Melt the butter and mix with the crushed Ritz crackers. Sprinkle on top of the pineapple. Add pecans on top. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes until brown on top.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.