“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good
bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts” —James Beard

This delicious, cheesey bread served hot right from the oven with a big bowl of soup will become one of your favorites.   This is an easy recipe and the bread is so good.  It is great with any meal.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or could use your favorite cheese
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter or margarine or 8 tablespoons or 1 stick,  melted
2 eggs
In a large bowl combine flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.  In a smaller bowl beat eggs, melted butter and buttermilk together with a whisk.  Add to flour mixture and mix with a spoon just enough to wet all the ingredients.  Pour mixture into a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan that has just the bottom of the pan sprayed or greased.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.  Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan.  Makes one loaf.  Store in refrigerator.
This bread is so good it does not even need butter on it!  I love it with homemade potato soup.  Enjoy!
Quick Peppery Cheese Bread
Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.
 © 2013 The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.

1. Sharon Howa says:

Have made this bread before, it’s so good!!

2. Pat–I just left the pepper out and it turned out wonderfully! Such an easy & really delicious bread. Like someone commented–no butter required. Just a really good bread!!

3. I just made this bread and I added 2 TBS diced jalapeno pepper to it and it was awesome. Definitely a keeper recipe.

4. Lea McKinney says:

Can this be made in the bread maker?

5. Making this tonight! It is in the oven now! I’ll send you a picture when it’s done! 🙂

Lynn ~ Southern With A Twist

6. Lynda Lavery says:

Could I make this bread with gluten free flour,would it work.
    I am intolerant to wheat and gluten

7. YES…yes…yes…this stuff is amazing! I made it with Split Pea Soup. Will put this in the never fail list!

8. I made this earlier and just sliced into it..brilliant(i didnt fail at it) and tastes lovely,thank you from me here in the UK :O)

9. Joy B in Southern Indiana says:

Made this last night – so easy and delish! Making homemade potato soup to go with it tonight. Thanks for sharing your recipes! The photos can really make your mouth water! 🙂

10. Dear Southern Lady….LOVE your recipes! It is because they are ‘down-home’ and comforting. I am wondering if you allow us to put our favorites (hard to choose!) in our folders on Pinterest?

Look at the bottom of each individual recipe and you will see a button to pin the recipes to Pinterest, Ruth. I am giving you a link to my boards on Pinterest, too. Would love to have you follow me and you can re-pin all the recipes from my site there as well. Happy Pinning!http://www.pinterest.com/jdyygr/boards/

11. Very, very good, love your recipies…..:)

12. Just found your site today…in regard to “no buttermilk” just make your own by using 1 TBSP of vinegar or lemon juice and then fill up to one cup and let it sit for a few minutes. I’ve used numerous times in recipes and it works.

13. Debbie Hamilton says:

Can this be made ahead and frozen for later use thr the winter?

14. My oven doesn’t work. Is it possible to cook this bread on a stove top? Maybe in a frying pan on low heat, with a covered lid? Please let me know. I would like to make it today..

15. It was good…basically like a biscuit bread. Would be great without the cheese, and with gravy on it for breakfast!

16. I made this today, the hardest part was grinding the pepper…so easy and it is amazing.. I will be making lots of this, maybe trying some different types of cheeses in it.It is really good and so easy.

17. i know its just a coincidence, but someone just posted a easy crackpot potato soup at the same time you posted this! Cool!

18. patti brock says:

so quick to put together. its in the oven now. we are having chicken noodle soup for dinner. this is going to be great together.

19. Debbie Rogers says:

Can you make this with plain milk instead of buttermilk?

20. catht sartain says:

Made the peppery cheese bread into muffins just to speed up supper.Served with veggie soup-Awesome! A keeper

21. What size loaf pan did you use?

22. Teresa williams says:

This was sooooooo good ! And so easy to make . Thank you for this and all the other recipes you post all of them remind me of the country cooking I grew up eatting on my grandparents dairy farm in Minnesota .

23. I made this tonight along with White Chicken Chili. It is really good. I did add a little garlic powder too…..will definately make more of it.

24. I am loving your site and your posts…but is there an easy way to print your recipes? So far unless I copy and past I am getting 3-4 pages of everything instead of just the recipe.

• Linda, Click on the name of a recipe, look at the bottom of the page and you will see “Print/pdf”. Click on that and you can remove the photo and any text you don’t want and print the recipe.

• Heidi Clark says:

Linda, you could always do what I do. Just copy it on a recipe card by hand. I don’t have a printer, so I just do it the “old school” way 🙂

25. my daughter in law made this for the first time last night and it was so good I’m sharing the recipe with all my friends!

26. That bread looks so delicious! I love cheese, so I know I’ll love this!

27. This bread looks really good and easy to make. Thanks for sharing, I will have to try this soon!

28. Happy New Year Judy, thanks for this, I will be sure to try it!

29. Delicious. I love cracked pepper with cheddar.