SAUSAGE BALLS CLASSIC RECIPE

this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

TSLCSausageBalls

Sausage balls are a favorite thing in our family.   We make sausage balls every Christmas eve and sit around and talk and pig out.  If there are any sausage balls left over, we have them with coffee on Christmas morning.  We like sausage balls with my homemade honey mustard sauce recipe below and love sharing with friends and family.  We can always find an excuse to make these. Sausage balls are one of our favorite appetizers and we make them all year long for game day and social events when friends come over. This is a recipe you will enjoy over and over again.

1 lb. pork sausage
2 cups Bisquick
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or any cheese of your choice
Dash of cayenne, thyme and garlic powder (Optional)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix all ingredients with your hands and shape into walnut sized balls.  Place on a sprayed baking sheet.  Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  We usually turn them once while cooking so they will be browned on both sides. We like these with Honey Mustard Sauce for dipping.  See recipe below.

TSLCCOOKBOOKBANNER1

Honey Mustard Sauce

1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise

Mix together well with a whisk.  (You can make this without the honey but we like it in the recipe)  Enjoy!

If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Baked Meatballs for Appetizers.
Don’t Forget to Pin Sausage Balls!  Feel free to “share” by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter icons below.  You can print by clicking on the green printer icon below.

1. Can You please give me the recipe of the cabbage roll if you have.Thank you.

2. Jacky Wesley says:

I always use hot sausage and roll an olive in the middle for a surprise!

3. I usually make a double batch so I can put some in the freezer for a quick reheat later. Makes a great snack for tv watching or lounging around.

4. I have all my ingredients at room temperature. This may be the same recipe that I use. Have never dipped them in anything.

5. If you would like, next time try adding 1/2 cup sour cream, makes the sausage balls even more moist

6. Use half cheddar half monterrey jack w/jalapenos…hot sausage. Never have used the spices…might have to try…LOVE THESE!

7. Kate Mattingly says:

Made These for years as sausage cheese biscuits. Just make larger balls and flatten them out. I do cook the sausage first. Still good and everyone loves them.

8. Pam flowers says:

I don’t want to use Bisquick, but would like a recipe using flour. Any suggestions?

9. I just made these today as a little ” party” . My sons friend just got out of the hospital and they went over great. She had never eaten them before but my son has many times.

10. Alex Ray Barnes says:

Thanks for all the wonderful recipes that has been posted!!

11. Almost the same recipe I use but never dip them in anything. Just love sausage balls and always buy the hot sausage.

12. Do you pre-cook the sausage before mixing / baking or no?

13. Deborah Stout says:

Thank you I have been looking for this for Christmas

14. margo snell says:

i first learned of these in late 60’s when living in jackson, ms. they were introduced to me as “coon balls”, basically as coon cheese was used. my grands love them as do we all. will try your dip.

15. These look SO good! I can also see them being served with some type of country gravy/red eye gravy! Will be trying these soon!

16. We do a lot of entertaining this time of year and these are the perfect festive appetizer to serve to our guests. Delicious!

17. These are a part staple down here and they go fast!

18. I love these, Judy, and usually make them every Christmas. I didn’t this year because of our power outage, but it’s never too late for sausage balls, is it? 🙂 Thanks for the reminder!

19. Hey Southern Lady,
    These look really good, but we Northerners need something substantial to get us through this deep freeze. I’m making your chicken and dumplings this next week. Can’t wait!
    Brrrrlisha