Coca cola cake is a classic. This Coca Cola cake is a Southern favorite. Southerners know that every drink other than sweet tea in the South is known as Coca Cola. We love our coca cola so much and even make cakes putting it in the mix. THIS IS A WARNING!! If you are a chocoholic like me, you will want to eat the whole cake. This is a chocolate lover’s dream cake and makes me happy just to have it in the house! There are lots of recipes for this cake but this one is my favorite.
Coca Cola Cake Ingredients Needed:
Ground cinnamon (Optional) (I think the cinnamon brings out the chocolate flavor even more)
Coca cola (I always use regular coke and have not tried it with any other kind)
Frosting for Coca Cola Cake Ingredients Needed:
100% pure cocoa
Powdered sugar ( Note: 1 pound of unsifted powdered sugar= about 4 1/4 cups. 1 lb. of sifted powdered sugar = about 4 3/4 cups. I used 4 cups of unsifted powdered sugar and it worked fine in this frosting)
Pecans or nuts of your choice(Optional)
Full recipe in recipe card below.
RECIPE FEEDBACK: “I just made this this morning. I had to use Sprite – I was out of Coca-Cola. It was absolutely delicious. Perfect if you need something sweet. No miniature marshmallows so I cut my big ones up. It worked. Not amazing but very good. Thanks for a great recipe!! -Elizabeth
“I lost my box recipe book in a move, some of beloved recipes were there. I have been making this cake for 20+ years. Thank you for posting this. I have looked up other recipes and a bunch do not have the marshmallows. The marshmallows rise to the top and give a nice crusty yumminess. Thank you thank you!!!” – Andrea
“This is a great cake. I gently fold walnuts in the icing for a fudge like topping. The hot cake makes this smooth, but not a melted mess if you don’t over work it. Truly, this recipe is better than what Cracker Barrel served. I’ve been making this cake for over 36 years. I think it’s fantastic just as is and wouldn’t alter the recipe.” – Kathy
Southern Coca Cola Cake
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Optional (I think the cinnamon brings out the chocolate flavor even more)
- 1 cup butter or margarine or two sticks or 16 tablespoons
- 1 cup coca cola I always use regular coke and have not tried it with any other kind
- 3 tablespoons 100% pure cocoa
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frosting for Coca Cola Cake
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine or 1 stick or 8 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoon 100% pure cocoa
- 6 tablespoons coca cola
- 1 1 pound package powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans or nuts of your choice Optional
- Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix well using a wire whisk. Combine butter, the 1 cup of coca cola and cocoa in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil stirring often.
- Remove from heat and pour over flour mixture. Mix with a spoon. Mix buttermilk and baking soda together and pour into cake mixture. Add marshmallows and continue stirring.(Your marshmallows will not melt) Add in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Pour into a sprayed 9 x 13 inch pan and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes, testing for doneness. Frost.
- Bring margarine, cocoa and coca cola to a boil on top of the stove. Remove from heat and add vanilla and powdered sugar until frosting is of spreading consistency. You can either stir in nuts or sprinkle on top of the cake. Spread over hot cake.