Don’t wreck a sublime chocolate experience by feeling guilty! —Lora Brody This old fashioned sweet chocolate pie is a classic! If you love chocolate this delicious pie is for you. We love this pie any time of the year however it is perfect for the holiday season. Do not be intimidated by the meringue.. you can do it! If you feel that you can’t you can always add a whipped cream topping.
Chocolate Pie Ingredients Needed:
Deep dish pie crust
White granulated sugar
Meringue Ingredients Needed:
This old fashioned recipe has many great reviews:
“This recipe has made me a pie baking queen!! Everyone requests this chocolate pie for holidays, birthdays, what have you. I like mine thick so I always cook a bit longer. Thank you for sharing!”- Brandy
“This is a perfect Chocolate Pie just like my grandmother use to make for me. It brought back so many good memories. Thanks for sharing.”- Patricia
“I just made this pie for my husband for Valentines. I haven’t cut into it yet, but tasted the filling and I can’t tell you how good…no, great this pie is!!! This is the recipe I’ve been looking for for years. This taste like the old-timey chocolate pie that my grandmother made!! Thank you for the recipe!” – Debbie
“This is my Mammaw’s pie! She made it every Christmas, and I never got the recipe until now. Thank you SO much, my relatives will be just as thrilled as me to have chocolate pie again!” -Rosie
“Just made your pie! It’s fabulous! I added a little more sugar and some cream of tartar and a dash of vanilla to the meringue! I don’t thnk this pie will last the day! Thanks so much for sharing! – Cab
If you love this delicious pie, you will also love our Maple Pecan Pie!
Full recipe in recipe card below. Be sure to continue stirring like the directions say, until it is thick.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking, and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Sweet Chocolate Pie
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie crust, baked
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine or 1/2 stick
Meringue for chocolate pie.
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Bake your pie shell and let it cool before adding the filling. In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, cocoa, flour, milk, vanilla and eggs. Cut butter into about three pieces and add to pie liquid. (The butter will melt while cooking). Cook on top of the stove on medium high heat, stirring constantly about 9 to 10 minutes until filling thickens
- Don’t forget to stir because it will burn easily. If I think it is going to burn I move it from the burner for a minute or put it on the edge of the burner. Once the filling thickens, pour into cooled pie shell and let cool about 10 to 12 minutes before adding meringue.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer until peaks form. Add the sugar and beat about another minute. Spread on top of the pie and bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until brown on top. You can just put the pie under the broiler and brown the meringue that way. If you put it under the broiler, watch it carefully because it will burn easily. I usually brown mine under the broiler but you can do it either way.