Mexican cornbread is delicious with lots of flavors incorporated in the recipe. Serve this with just about anything. My family loves this recipe and requests it often. On a cold day this is wonderful with soup! If you love this recipe, you would also love our Mexican Meatloaf. It’s one of our most popular recipes.
Mexican Cornbread Ingredients Needed:
White shoepeg corn
Diced green chili peppers
Mexican style cheese, shredded
We love easy recipes and this one is so simple. This cornbread is also a great addition to any summer meal. Wonderful with grilled pork chops and a delicious pasta salad. Super versatile!Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 11 ounce can white shoepeg corn, drained (can use yellow corn)
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chili peppers, drained (can use 2 hot peppers of your choice)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Mexican style cheese shredded
- 4 tablespoon oil I used two tablespoons of bacon grease and two of Canola oil
- Mix together cornmeal, flour,baking soda, eggs, and buttermilk with a spoon in a large bowl. Fold in corn, green pepper, chile peppers, onion and cheese.
- Spray your skillet with cooking spray, then add oil and grease and heat for a minute or two in oven. Add cornbread mixture. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until top is nice and brown and done in center. Cut into wedge-shaped pieces, slather with butter.