This Hearty Pinto Bean Soup is one of our favorite cold weather foods. This soup is loaded with all kinds of great vegetables and super easy to make. I honestly believe you should have fried cornbread or cornbread muffins with soup. It really is the perfect combination! You can also make this soup in the crock pot but you will need to soak the beans regardless.
Hearty Pinto Bean Soup simple ingredients:
Dry pinto beans
Diced salt pork
Fresh okra, sliced (can use frozen okra)
Diced tomatoes (could use fresh tomatoes)
Whole kernel corn, frozen, fresh or canned
Hot sauce (optional)
This soup is very versatile.. because it can be made a few different ways. You can easily use canned pinto beans and just throw all of this in the crock pot and let it cook for a few hours. That is the super simple version or you can use dry beans, soak them over night and make this on the stove. I love recipes like this that are versatile and can fit any lifestyle. If you are busy you can make the crock pot version, if you are home all day on a Sunday and want to make this soup, soak the beans overnight and make it that way.
Full recipe in recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Hearty Pinto Bean Soup
- 1 2/3 cups dry pinto beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup diced salt pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups fresh okra sliced (can use frozen okra)
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (could use fresh tomatoes)
- 1 14.5 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained or 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
Preparing Dried Beans
- Rinse beans. In a 5-quart dutch oven or kettle combine beans and the water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or, soak beans in the water overnight in a covered pan) Do not drain.
- Add onion, salt pork, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the bay leaf to the beans and liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or till beans are tender. Add sliced okra, undrained tomatoes, drained corn, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, thyme, and bottled hot pepper sauce.
- Simmer the mixture for 30 minutes or till okra is tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Preparing in Crock Pot
- You can also make this in the crock pot using about three 15 ounce cans of Pinto Beans, leave out the salt pork, and add the other ingredients and cook 4 hrs. on high.
Be sure and pin this hearty pinto bean soup!
Click here to follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.