This recipe for Fried Cabbage with Sausage is quick and easy. This is true comfort food and always a hit when I put it on the table. Serve it with my Southern Cornmeal Hoecakes and you have the perfect meal.
Ingredients for Fried Cabbage with Sausage
Butter or margarine
Polish sausage (can use smoked sausage), I use Hillshire Farm.
Can of diced tomatoes
Hot sauce, optional
Tips on cabbage: When buying cabbage select the ones with the greenest leaves on the outside. Dark green leaves mean more flavor. Once you cut a head of cabbage it starts losing its Vitamin C content. This is why it is better to shred cabbage yourself for your recipes instead of buying it already shredded. Uncut cabbage will keep up to 2 weeks in a perforated plastic bag, once cut, wrap in plastic wrap but use within a few days for best flavor and nutrients.
Notes: you can easily use turkey smoked sausage or andouille sausage in this recipe.
Recipe Feedback: “I have made other cabbage recipes and I have to say that they tasted nothing like this one. I absolutely loved this recipe and my family did as well. Thanks for sharing!”-Latoya
“Ms. Southern Ladies; I have to say this was delicious! Made no changes and the husband had three bowls, father had two and Mom and I had one. A favorite added to the list. Thank you.”-Cindy
Fried Cabbage with Sausage
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 small head of cabbage chopped
- 1 small green pepper chopped or cut into strips
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 pound polish sausage sliced into round pieces (can use smoked sausage)I use Hillshire Farm.
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- few drops of hot sauce optional
- Melt butter in large skillet. Add cabbage, onion, and green pepper and cook on medium high for about 5 minutes stirring to keep from sticking to pan. Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!