Sausage cabbage casserole is a great comfort food dish. This dish reheats well too. If you love cabbage you will love this one. We like it with cornbread muffins or Southern cornmeal hoecakes. This makes a quick and easy weeknight meal your family and friends will love.
Sausage and cabbage casserole is easy and delicious.
Cabbage, shredded or cut in pieces
Pork breakfast sausage
Green pepper, chopped
Oregano or Italian seasoning
Cheese, shredded (I used a combination of Mexican and parmesan but you can use cheddar or any cheese you like)
Recipe feedback: “This is delicious! I used hot rotels which made it very spicy. I served with sour cream. My family loves it.” – Brenda
“Easy and delicious. my finicky husband loved it. Thank you!” – Patricia
You could also use smoked sausage in this casserole. Make it healthy by using turkey sausage and fat free cheeses, too. This recipe is super versatile and loaded with flavor. Great for a busy weeknight, you can throw this together quickly!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Sausage Cabbage Casserole
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded or cut in pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Optional
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained (could use tomatoes and green chilis, too)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cheese shredded (I used a combination of Mexican and parmesan but you can use cheddar or any cheese you like)
- Steam the cabbage with 1/2 cup water in the microwave for 5 minutes and drain. Spread cabbage in the bottom of a sprayed casserole dish and sprinkle with black pepper and salt. Pour the tomatoes over the cabbage along with 1/4 cup water.
- Cook sausage, onion, green pepper, oregano and garlic on top of the stove until sausage is cooked. Spread over cabbage. Add cheese on top.
- Bake covered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 60 minutes, removing cover the last 15 minutes of cooking. Makes about 8 servings.