This easy chicken tortilla soup is our “go to” soup for any outside event, such as tailgating or camping. It’s so easy because it is only 6 cans all thrown in a big pot together. You can do this on the stove top, over a camp fire, or in a crock pot. I know some people would always rather have homemade food, but this recipe is perfect for those occasions where you need a super easy way to prepare something. You might also like our recipe for black-eyed pea cabbage soup.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Simple Ingredients:
Can of Black Beans
Can of corn
Can of White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast, drained
I always rinse my beans and my corn when preparing this soup as it does help lower the sodium content. You don’t have to rinse them if you don’t want to. I also garnish with a little dried or fresh cilantro, which is absolutely optional. You could easily top this with avocado as well.
I always put my chips in the bottom of the bowl and then add the soup on top. For this photo, I put crushed chips on top so that they would show up. Either way.. just add the chips; it makes all the difference!
Of course, you can use any cooked chicken in this recipe. You certainly don’t have to use canned chicken.
“This is the best and works perfectly if you need a “go to” in a camping or minimally equipped kitchen setting. My husband liked it and so did I!” – Nancy
“We had a busy weekend so I threw this in the crockpot and was shocked at how good it was! Seriously delicious! I love all your recipes.” – Candace
Full printable recipe in recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 15.25 ounce can of Black Beans, drained
- 1 14.5 ounce can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 4 ounce can of Green Chilies
- 1 14.5 ounce can of Chicken Broth
- 1 15.25 ounce of Corn, drained
- 1 9.75 ounce can of White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast, drained
- 1 bag of Tortilla Chips
- Shredded cheese
- Sour Cream
- Put all canned ingredients in crock pot and turn on desired temp. If you plan to eat this much later, just put on low and leave it. If you are in a hurry turn on high. You’re only wanting to heat everything up.
- If making on the stove top, bring to boil and then turn down for about 20 minutes and it should be ready to serve. Toss some chips in the bottom of a bowl, cover with soup, top with cheese and sour cream.
Be sure and PIN for later:
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.