CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
Chicken and Dumplings is an all time favorite Southern comfort food meal. This dish can be made with leftover baked chicken, bought chicken, or turkey. You can also boil a chicken or chicken breasts for the recipe. My family loves chicken and dumplings and the more dumplings the better we like it! Chicken and dumplings has been a favorite Southern recipes for years. I remember my mother making chicken and dumplings when I was a child and we usually had it on Sundays in the South!
Ingredients for chicken and dumplings.
Chicken or turkey, cooked
Cream of chicken soup
Self Rising Flour (you can make your own here)
These simple ingredients make wonderful dumplings. We have always enjoyed the flat dumplings, as this is what I grew up on. My grandmother and mother both made flat dumplings. However I know many of you love the drop dumplings, which are super easy too. Instead of rolling out the dough, you just pinch if off and drop them in the soup mixture.
Great reviews on these delicious dumplings:
“Usually when I make chicken and dumplings it is a major project. This recipe makes a delicious dinner with a fraction of the work and in a fraction of the time. I am grateful for this recipe. Thank you for sharing it.” – Leslie
“Rarely do I comment about a recipe, but I have to share. I was always hesitant about making from scratch dumplings. I either got take out Cracker Barrel, or attempted to make them using biscuits, which always swelled more than I cared for. I came across this recipe a couple of years ago, made them several times, and they are perfect! Last night I wanted dumplings, but couldn’t find this recipe in my collection. I got the recipe on the Martha White site (the same one on the Crisco site) that called for chicken broth instead of hot water. Saying they were a mess is being generous–I tossed them out without even trying them. So I searched today until I found this recipe again. I’ll never use another! Just like Grandma’s.” – Janie
Full recipe in recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 cups chopped chicken or turkey cooked
- 1 cup chopped celery
- one 10.5 ounce can of cream of chicken soup I use Campbell’s soup and broth
- two 10.5 ounce cans of chicken broth
- 3 of the 10.5 ounce cans filled with water
- 2 cups Self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Chicken Instructions
- Place the chicken/broth ingredients in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Cover
- Pour 2 cups self-rising flour into a large bowl, cut in 1/4 cup shortening with a pastry blender or fork, add 3/4 cup boiling water a little at a time until you can shape the mixture into a ball. Roll out to about 1/8 inch of thickness on a floured board. Cut into strips, then squares
- Remove lid on pot and add several squares at a time to the boiling broth replacing lid each time for about 30 seconds until you have added all the dumplings. Once all the dumplings are added lower heat to simmer for about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you want drop dumplings, just don’t roll the dough out but pinch off pieces and drop into the broth just like you dropped the flat dumplings.