SLOW COOKER CHICKEN GUMBO SOUP
My family loves this slow cooker chicken gumbo soup and this is one your family will love too. I freeze okra in the summer just to use in gumbo. This dish is easy to make and really hearty and delicious. Top it with oyster crackers for a real treat I love any soup you can throw in the crock pot and let it just cook. You might also like to check out our recipe for easy chicken and dumplings.
Slow cooker chicken gumbo soup ingredients needed:
Petite diced tomatoes
Fresh okra or frozen
Cayenne or hot sauce to taste
Long grain rice (Could use instant rice)
Soups are super versatile add vegetables you like or take out what you don’t. Many people will comment they don’t like okra.. just leave it out. This would be good with wild rice or brown rice too. What is wonderful about cooking is experimenting and making things your own. Crock pot soups are the easiest way to do that.
This dish would be great for a big gathering as you can easily double the recipe. If you like this dish you will love these too!
Full recipe in recipe card below!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking, and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo Soup
- 3 to 4 cups chicken cooked and chopped (I usually cook a whole chicken the day before and use leftovers to make this the next day)
- 2 cups or 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 carrot chopped or sliced
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh okra or 1 16 ounce package frozen
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cayenne or hot sauce to taste
- 1 cup long grain rice Could use instant rice
- Put all ingredients in crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours. Makes almost 3 quarts.
Be sure and pin this delicious Chicken Gumbo Soup:
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.