OLD FASHIONED CARROT CAKE
This old fashioned carrot cake is one of the best cakes on my site. My family loves it. I can make this cake and it won’t last two days. It has wonderful reviews and is such a delicious cake. The classics always stand the test of time and this cake is definitely one of them. This cake is the perfect addition to any gathering.
Old Fashioned Carrot Cake Ingredients Needed:
Carrots, grated (Remove ends and scrape carrots before grating)
Nuts or raisins, Optional
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients Needed:
Cream cheese, softened
I actually think this cake is better the next day so you can easily make this one a day in advance. I just keep this cake is a cool place and it keeps very well. You also crush some pecans and sprinkle on the top for added decoration.
So many great comments on this delicious cake:
“This has become my go-to recipe for carrot cake, everyone loves it anytime I make it. Thank you!” – Conrad
“I made this Monday night to take to my craft group on Tuesday. It was delicious. We had a small group because of the weather so I had plenty left over. Took it to our bowls group the next day and they loved it too. I got lots of compliments. I put the nuts and some raisins in mine. I can only get spreadable cream cheese where I live so my icing was a little softer than I would have liked but had great flavor.” – Rhonda
“I have made this carrot cake recipe several times and my whole family loves it. It is one of the most requested cakes that I make for family functions. THANK YOU FOR THE RECIPE.” -Patricia
Full printable recipe in recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Old Fashioned Carrot Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups oil I use Canola
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots grated (Remove ends and scrape carrots before grating)
- 1 cup nuts or raisins Optional
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter or margarine or 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons
- 1 box confectionary sugar 16 oz or about 3.5 cups
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together with a wire whisk. In a small bowl cream oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla with a mixer
- Add creamed mixture to dry ingredients and mix well with mixer. Add carrots and keep on mixing. If using nuts or raisins fold them in with a spoon. Spray 2 round cakes pans or a 9 x 13 pan and add batter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before frosting. Frost with cream cheese frosting
- Whip all frosting ingredients together with mixer until smooth and of spreading consistency.