This Kentucky Butter Cake recipe has been around for a long time because it is such a great cake! Butter cake is very moist and the rum just makes it even better. This recipe is a keeper. Great to serve to family, friends and guests. Wonderful addition to any holiday gathering. It’s the perfect addition to any Christmas meal!
Ingredients for the Kentucky Butter Cake
Rum (If you don’t use alcohol, you can substitute vanilla extract or rum extract)
Rum Sauce Ingredients
Rum, can use more (If you don’t use alcohol, you can substitute vanilla extract or rum extract)
I have made this cake with rum and with rum extract and it is delicious either way. I honestly think the rum extract has more flavoring. Since there is salt in the recipe I use unsalted butter, you are welcome to use whatever you prefer.
Some people don’t keep buttermilk on hand, if you are one of those people you can always make a buttermilk substitute.
Love this comment: “Just made this Rum Cake: so easy even a GUY can do it! Thank you: it’s delicious.” – Victor
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Kentucky Butter Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 2 teaspoons rum can use more(If you don’t use alcohol, you can substitute vanilla extract or rum extract)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Rum Sauce Ingredients
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons rum can use more (If you don’t use alcohol, you can substitute vanilla extract or rum extract)
- n a large bowl cream sugar, eggs, butter, and buttermilk together with mixer. Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla or rum and mix. Pour batter into a well-sprayed bundt pan or pan of your choice.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes until done. Let cool in the pan at least 30 minutes before removing.
Rum Sauce Instructions
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until fully melted. Do not boil! Pour over cake.