Iron skillet cake is so easy to make and you can use just about any fruit you have on hand. I used blueberries on this cake and I had a peach I needed to get rid of so put it on the cake with the blueberries. You could use strawberries, blackberries, peaches, raspberries or whatever you like. This iron skillet cake is a basic cake recipe with just the fruit added on top. You could make this cake in a 9 x 13 baking dish, too. It doesn’t have to be in an iron skillet. I like this recipe because you can throw it together so easily when you need a fast dessert. This cake is great with coffee or as a dessert with ice cream or whipped cream on top. Be sure and check out our recipe for Iron Skillet Sweet Potato Cobbler.
Iron skillet cake ingredients needed:
White granulated sugar
This skillet cake is such a wonderful basic recipe. So versatile and great for any gathering. It would especially be good for brunch. If you like to use your iron skillet you will love this blackberry cobbler. You can also make this version of a skillet cake too.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Iron Skillet Cake
- 1 stick butter or 8 tablespoons or 1/2 cup softened
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries
- 1 large fresh peach peeled and sliced
- Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla with mixer. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add to creamed mixture along with buttermilk and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Spray a 10 inch iron skillet with cooking spray. Spread batter in skillet and put fruit on top. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes until center tests done. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Don’t Forget to Pin Iron Skillet Cake!
Click here to follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder