This delicious Sweet Potato Cobbler is easy to make and one you will love! Great addition to any holiday menu and so good topped with whipped topping or ice cream. The spices added to this recipe is what makes this one really good. If you love sweet potatoes this easy dessert is for you! You can also make this dish in a 9X13 baking dish.
Sweet Potato Cobbler Ingredients:
White granulated sugar
Water from cooked sweet potatoes
.Crust Recipe Ingredients:
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Iron Skillet Sweet Potato Cobbler
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and sliced or chopped (about 6 or 7 cups)
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water from cooked sweet potatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter softened
- About 10 tablespoons ice water
- Cover the sliced or chopped sweet potatoes with water and boil just long enough to soften. This takes about 10 minutes. They should be soft enough that you can stick a fork through them. Drain and save 1 1/2 cups of the water from boiling the sweet potatoes. In a bowl whisk together the sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour.
- Spray a 10 inch iron skillet with cooking spray or you could use a 9 x 13 baking dish. Dump in the cooked sweet potatoes, pour the 1 1/2 cups water over the potatoes. Mix in vanilla extract. Sprinkle on the sugar and spices. Cut up the 5 tablespoons butter in pieces on top. Then make your crust or you could use a bought pie crust on top.
- Mix salt into flour. Cut butter into flour until resembles course crumbs. Add water until you can work with dough. Roll out on a floured surface and place over cobbler in skillet or baking dish.
- Bake cobbler in a preheated 400 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is brown on top. Can brush crust with melted butter or egg white for better browning.
Here are more of our favorite cobbler recipes.
Be sure and Pin our Iron Skillet Sweet Potato Cobbler for later:
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder