This Easy Custard Pie is so simple to make and so good served with whipped cream. I love nutmeg and sprinkling it on top really adds to this pie. You could add a cup of coconut to the filling, too. This pie will keep for several days refrigerated. Great for any holiday meal or just anytime you want an easy pie to take to a gathering or just make it for the family for a treat.
Easy Custard Pie Simple Ingredients Needed:
Deep dish pie shell, unbaked
Sweetened condensed milk
This pie is a little different from the traditional custard pie, but it is absolutely delicious and super easy to make. If you need a quick dessert this is a great one.
“This pie has a lot of flavor even though you don’t add much in the sense of flavorings, it is great just on it’s own without adding any other flavorings to it!!! Thanks for posting!!” – Eilleen
“I was sooo skeptical when it said 1 1/4 cups of water but it cooked PERFECTLY (although I added about 8 extra minutes just because last time I tried a different recipe for this it was completely liquid after an hour of cooking) I forgot to stir in the nutmeg so I had to just sprinkle it on top mixed with cinnamon.” – Jennifer
“This was excellent custard. I made it in a round pan, covered it with foil, and steamed it in my instant pot for 8 minutes. It came out perfectly and my husband and I were wowed by both the taste and texture.”- Cynthia
If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Brown Sugar Pie.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Easy Peasy Custard Pie
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie shell, unbaked
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cups hot water I just use tap water. You don’t want it boiling or too hot or it will cook your eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs beaten
- About 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg Optional
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the milk, water, salt and vanilla extract.
- Beat eggs well and add to milk mixture and continue beating with wire whisk until filling is smooth. Pour into pie shell.
- Sprinkle nutmeg on top.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 50 minutes until middle is set.
- Remove from oven, cool to room temperature and serve with whipped cream on top. Makes 1 pie. Refrigerate any left over.
Be sure and PIN this wonderful Custard Pie:
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.
Follow us on Instagram.