CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES AND SAUSAGE
This recipe for Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Sausage makes a hearty meal and we all love it. I serve it with my Southern Cornmeal Hoecakes. Leftovers can be reheated and keeps for several days in the fridge. You could also cut this recipe in half.
Scalloped Potatoes and Sausage Ingredients Needed:
Smoked sausage (could use polish), sliced in rounds
Colby Jack Cheese
Butter or 1/2 stick or 1/4 cup
Parsley for garnish (Optional)
As you can see this dish is just simple ingredients but it’s loaded in flavor! You can always use Andouille Sausage to give this dish a little more heat. You can also use turkey smoked sausage too! It’s very versatile and so good. You can always mix up the cheeses too if you prefer a different flavor.
One thing to remember the cooking time is going to vary depending on the depth of your dish and the how thin you slice your potatoes. I have made this in a 9X13 and it took about an hour. I cooked it in a 2 quart dish and it took an hour and 20 minutes. So definitely CHECK to make sure your potatoes are cooked through.
“I made this for dinner tonight with hot Italian sausage and sweet Italian sausage. I did not have any green peppers and I used provolone cheese instead of cheddar jack because that’s all I had on hand. Increase the temperature to 400° for 45 minutes it was perfect and delicious thank you for the recipe.” – Tawnja
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Sausage
- 1 pound package of smoked sausage (could use polish, sliced in rounds)
- 7 to 8 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 green pepper seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 8 ounce package Colby Jack Cheese, cubed (can use whatever kind you like)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter or 1/2 stick or 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (can use whatever kind you like)
- 1-2 tablespoon paprika
- fresh parsley for garnish (Optional)
- In a large mixing bowl slice up the sausage, peel and slice potatoes, chopped green pepper and chopped onion. Toss to mix
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and pour in the potato sausage mixture. Sprinkle cubed cheese on top.
- In a saucepan on top of the stove combine the milk, sour cream, butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder and flour. Over low heat melt the ingredients while stirring with a wire whisk until mixture thickens and is smooth. DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from stove and pour over potatoes and sausage. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over top. Sprinkle paprika over cheese. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 375 degree oven 35 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender when stuck with a fork. Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes until starts to brown on top. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh parsley.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Click here to follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.