This Cornbread Pudding is a great twist on regular cornbread.  My family loves it. This makes a very light and fluffy cornbread. I can eat it like cake! Serve this with my recipe for Crockpot Three Bean Barbecue with Sausage for a great meal.

2 cups yellow self-rising cornmeal mix (I use Martha White) or 2 cups yellow self-rising cornmeal (See note below as to how to make self-rising cornmeal mix or self-rising cornmeal if you can’t find it in your area)
1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14.75 ounce) can cream style corn
2 eggs
1 stick butter or margarine or 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons, melted
1/4 cup green onion, chopped (can use regular onion)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (Can use any kind of cheese you like)
Mix cornmeal with whole kernel corn and cream style corn with a spoon;  add eggs and butter and continue mixing.  Add onion, salt, buttermilk and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.  Pour into a sprayed casserole dish.The one above is a 10 x 10 dish.  Sprinkle remaining cup of shredded cheese on top.  Bake in preheated 400 degree oven 35 to 40 minutes until brown on top.  Makes about 12 large servings. Enjoy
Note:  If you can’t find self-rising cornmeal mix or self-rising cornmeal, you can make your own using regular cornmeal.  See below:
For 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix combine the ingredients below.
3/4 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
For 1 cup self-rising cornmeal combine the ingredients below:
3/4 cup cornmeal plus 3 tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder

Please check out our other FB sites and “Like” them on Facebook:

Everything Kentucky

The Southern Twins

Thank You!

1. Is this the same as Spoon Bread?

2. I made this for a potluck, and there were only a few crumbs left over. A success! I made the self-rising mix (times 2) to make the recipe. A teaspoon of salt in total. When I went to make the whole recipe which calls for another teaspoon of salt, I instinctively cut it back by a half. Next time, I’ll probably totally eliminate this second teaspoon of salt. Have you had any other comments about too much salt? I used unsalted butter. I use your recipes more than any other site. Thanks!!

No, I have not had any other comments but you are probably like me. I don’t like a lot of salt in anything and most times just leave it out completely when cooking for my family. Anytime, I leave it out on here I always get asked why no salt so I add it to the recipe. I feel that is something you kind of have to judge for yourself. My mother and sister always added so much salt you would thirst to death after eating something they made. They both took medicine for high blood pressure. I have never used salt except in a recipe I am making for the first time so I can post it on here. I have never had a problem with my blood pressure. I don’t miss it at all. Thank you for being a part of the site. So happy you enjoy the recipes.

3. Can I use jiffy cornbread mix ?

4. GRANNY NELDA says:

5. can I use ground oat flour to make it GF???

6. is this like a corn casserole, I have tried the corn casserole, but it was sweet with a crispy topping, do you have a recipe for anything like that, thanks in advance. I love all your recipes

7. Cornbread a very southern thing that is delicious,from a good ole Bama Girl 🙂

8. We like it with a can of green chilis added or chopped jalapeño. Yummy!

9. Gerri Holsinger says:

I grew up in KY and these southern foods, really appreciate the recipes as I love to cook and can’t remember all of moms recipes.

10. Debra Bradley-Lemon says:

Yes it was great

11. Thank goodness a real recipe not using Jiffy mix! This will be on my supper table this week!

12. I put green chilies or jalapeños and call it Mexican cornbread. We like it.

13. stephanie King says:

I have made something simular. I use Jiffy cornmeal. It is a great recipe.

14. Add some jalapeno in there for an awesome surprise!

15. pimarine says:

This sounds delicious have got to try it, “pimarine will try anything once”, will let yall know how it truns out.

16. Jackie Hill says:

Totally delicious !!! My husband and children want to know when I will be making it again !!! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

17. I make a similar recipe but I add cut up link sausage to it. This is very good and very easy

• I should have added to my comment that I do not use the whole corn, I only use cream cornand I’ve always made it in my cast iron skillet but I’m sure you can use it in any kind.

18. Sound good enough to try .. Bit of variation on our daily menù 🙂

19. What size pan do you use? 8×8??

20. Cora Lea Gaither says:

Made it Sunday. Love, Love it.

21. Linda Boone says:

Can this be made Gluten Free??

22. Don’t think I’ve ever heard of this, but it sounds good enough to try!

23. Bill Cloud says:

we really enjoy your reciepes