Oatmeal Treats - CopyThese cookies are one of Southern Lady’s favorites.  This is an Amish recipe  from a cookbook that is at least 30 years old.  I make these cookies often because my 4 year old grandson just loves them!

1/2 cup butter or margarine or 1 stick or 8 tablespoons, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use crunchy)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2  1/2 cups quick uncooked oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Beat margarine, peanut butter and sugars together until creamy.  Blend in eggs, milk, and vanilla.  Add flour, soda, and salt to the creamed mixture.  Blend well.  Stir in oats and chocolate chips.  Drop by spoonsfuls (I roll mine into balls  with my hands about the size of a walnut and place the ball unmashed) onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees about 15 minutes.  (I like the tops brown, so I usually turn on the broiler for about two minutes before taking out of the oven).  Makes about 3 dozen cookies.    Enjoy!   They won’t last long!
Don’t Forget to Pin! Amish Oatmeal Treats
If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Heavenly Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies.
e-mail signup TSLC
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest buttons below. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below each post.

1. Pam Johnavitz says:

Instead of all that white flour. I use 1 cup Ground up walnuts. More protein & wonderful nutty flavor. Cookies have the same. Texture. To. Just Say ‘n

2. I used raisins and chocolate chips!

3. Jan Rohlfing says:

Just made these and they are VERY good! Thanks for sharing!

4. Tammy Dittman says:

Instead of chocolate chips I added dried cran-blueberries

5. I used both, Yummy

6. Mine too, but then I realized I used baking powder instead of baking soda oops, they still tasted good so we’ll see next time around.

7. Peanut butter and chocolate chips in oatmeal cookies? Sacrilege!

8. lynnda baskette says:

Could you use self rising flour instead of plain flour?

9. could the choc. chips be replaced with raisins?

10. I was wondering if I could subsititue the chocolate chips with raisins?

11. Hi…these looks good! Going to try making this… But I notice it says soda. What kind of soda goes in this?

12. Hello Judy, I have been visiting your page from quiet sometime but am commenting for the first time ! Can you please tell me if I can substitute eggs with any other thing??? I am allergeic to eggs 🙁 ! Please reply soon I badly want to make them !

13. Darlene Hartwig says:

Not to worry, either way they are outstanding! I’d better get to exercizing a whole lot this winter.

14. Darlene Hartwig says:

Its me again. I will definately be making these again! Fresh out of the oven and they are delicious!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

15. Could you make these without the peanut butter?

16. OOOPS!! must have done something wrong!!! I don’t know the science of cooking-so I’m not good at making substitutions. My husband is diabetic and oves oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips–to I thought I’d give these a try.. I used Splenda blend brown sugar and plain Splenda for the sugars and did everything else just like the recipe. I rolled the dough into balls–and they stayed that way..not nice and flat like the pic shows. Could the Splenda have mde that much of a difference? yu can not taste sweet, peanut butter or the cinnamon I added. HELP!! What did I do wrong???????? I want these to work…..

I have never tried subbing anything in this recipe. If you bake a few and they are not spreading you can always take a fork and mash them flat but I don’t know why they did not work. I have been making these for years.

• they make a sugar substitute that is for baking..i use it. and my sugar lovers cant tell the difference unless they see the bag. I flatten the cookies and am a little heavy handed in the cinnamon department( its yummy and is known to lower blood sugars)

17. Southern Lady — do you have a recipe for CRISPY OATMEAL COOKIES???

18. These cookies look so tasty, I keep wanting to pick one out of the picture to enjoy with my coffee this morning! Guess I need to bake some right away. 🙂

19. This looks so good.

20. I love oatmeal cookies! My kids aren’t fond of them so I would have to eat them all myself if I made them. But it might just be worth it with your recipe!

21. I love oatmeal and I’m always looking for new recipes to use it in..
    this one sounds like my kind of cookie

22. These oatmeal cookies look fantastic! I’ll add some raisins for mine! 😉

23. Simply delicious recipe!Iam more than super excited to try these and we were thrilled to see this recipe.Thanks for the great treats!

24. We have some Amish families in Md Tn. I’ve had some of their baking before and it was delicious! I like to make the Amish Friendship Bread, as well. 🙂

I just noticed your Erma Bombeck quote. My Southern Mom is a big fan of Ms. Erma (RIP). The quote made me smile.

25. Doris/Grammyof13 says:

I’m enjoying your new blog page. I made one of your dishes for supper last week. The Hot Chicken Salad. Really Good. Keep up the good work.

This page is very attractive.