Amish Vanilla Pie is different from any pie I have ever made. This Amish Vanilla Pie recipe was in a cookbook I got in Mississippi at least 35 years ago and I have made it over the years. It has a great taste but I think the crumb topping is unusual since it is thicker than most toppings like this. I keep this pie in the fridge but it would probably be fine in a cool spot in the house in a pie cover. This Amish Vanilla Pie is good with coffee or served as a dessert with ice cream or whipped cream on top. If you like this pie, you will love this delicious Sorghum Molasses Shoofly Pie too.
Amish vanilla pie is an old fashioned recipe.
Boiled ingredients Needed:
Dark corn syrup
Cream of tartar
Pie shell (my recipe for pie crusts.)
You can make this pie in a regular pie crust or a deep dish. We have personally made it both ways and the pictures are from a deep dish crust. You will see in the note section of the recipe card below what changes we made for it to work well in a deep dish. This pie is unique but has a wonderful taste. It’s so good with homemade whipped cream on top!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Amish Vanilla Pie
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt or about 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 9 inch pie shell
If Using Deep Dish Crust See Note section!
- Beat the egg (I just beat with a fork until smooth) and mix well with brown sugar, flour, corn syrup, vanilla and water. Bring to a boil in a pot on top of the stove. Remove pot as soon as it starts boiling and set aside. Let mixture cool.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Cut in the softened butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Pour the cooled, boiled ingredients into your pie shell and spread the crumb topping over the top. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 45 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Don’t Forget to Pin Amish Vanilla Pie!
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.