This delicious recipe for Ham and Grits is super easy to make and a wonderful addition to any breakfast. We love to make this dish when we have leftover ham, so it makes an appearance after most holidays. Super versatile as you can add any spices or extras you may enjoy but this recipe is one of our favorites. It reheats well and we love to enjoy it topped with fried eggs!
Ham and Grits Ingredients Needed:
Quick cooking grits
Hot Sauce (optional)
As you can see, these are simple ingredients but this dish has a lot of flavor. The green onions and garlic really add to it, add in the hot sauce and it’s delicious. I have made it without and we still loved it! We love cheddar cheese but you could always add in whatever cheeses your family prefers.
There are many different kinds of cooked ham, from smoked ham to honey baked. I have tried this dish with both of those different flavors and it was great with both!
If you love grits like we do, you will definitely want to try our Southern Shrimp and Grits! That classic dish as great reviews and is one of our most popular recipes.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately!
Ham and Grits
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick cooking grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup ham cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped (can use regular onions)
- Several drops hot sauce Optional
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice divided (can use more cheese if you like a lot)
- Bring water and salt to a boil, add grits and cook five minutes until thick. Remove from stove and add butter, eggs, garlic powder, ham, green onions, hot sauce and half the shredded cheese.
- Mix together and pour into sprayed casserole.
- Sprinkle rest of the cheese on top. (I use a 9 x 5 loaf pan). Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes uncovered.
Don’t forget to pin this delicious Ham and Grits: