OLD-FASHIONED OATMEAL PIE

TSLCOldFashionedOatmealPie

I love this pie. It is one of my very favorites. There is something about the nuts, oats and coconut combined that gives it such a great taste.

3 eggs, beaten(I beat them with a wire whisk)
1 cup light corn syrup
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 cup rolled oats (the old-fashioned kind)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup walnuts (can use pecans)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust

Beat eggs with whisk.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well with spoon.  Pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, increase heat to 375 and bake for 10 more minutes.  Let cool before cutting. Enjoy!

TSLCOldFashionedOatmealPie1
 If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Sweet Potato Pie.
Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.

FacebookTwitterPinterestPrintFriendly

1. I just want to say it looks ah-mazing, Southern Lady!! Can’t wait to try it. And just an aside, if reviewers didn’t make it EXACTLY like the recipe calls for, then your review of THIS pie is moot! Jus sayin……:)

2. Darryl King says:

Hate to me negative but why are people always trying to change the original recipe? It is a recipe for a reason. Don’t leave out, substitute or add. BTW.. This is delicious and made true to the ingredients.

3. Shelley Murray Foley says:

I made this pie today exactly as it says only I added chocolate chips sprinkled on top before baking. YUM!!

4. My favorite pie. My recipe includes chopped dates.

5. this is also called mock pecan pie! I used to make it a lot but my recipe did not call for nuts or coconut! its basically a pecan pie only the oats are the “pecans” As a matter of fact, you can use any recipe for pecan pie ans just sub the oats for the pecans! It will still have a nutty like texture!

6. My husband doesn’t like coconut. What can I replace it with?

• Jennifer Alexander says:

I do not like coconut either, but you really can’t taste it at all. This is my fav pie of all time. I would give it a try…. :-)

7. food look good yummy

8. Would this work okay with “Quick Oats”( the 1 min kind) instead of old fashioned ( the 5 min kind) of oatmeal? I accidentally bought the minute type which is still a step up from instant….

I have not tried it with quick oats.

• Cathy Martin says:

My Aunt Mary made this pie all the time! (She would have been 115 this year.) And she always used the quick oats. I don’t think it really matters what the ‘solids’ are that you add, since this is basically a ‘poor man’s’ pecan pie; as long as you have enough bulk to fill the shell. As to the questions about the sugar/syrup substitutions, you’ll probably lose a little in the texture of the pie if you don’t use a thick syrup of some type. Just my opinion as a former baker–but, then we can’t be afraid to experiment!

• Danna Ann Southerlend says:

Kim Wyatt, I did the same thing you did one time, accidentally bought the quick kind, figured if it didn’t work the kids would eat it anyways, but when the pie came out it was the same. However… I think it is only somewhat thicker. Perhaps if you increase you butter by a tablespoon…but if you don’t mind it being less moist, then I wouldn’t change it. The quick oats works fine.

9. Mary Louise Oates says:

I was admittedly a little leery of this pie, but it is a new favorite! So easy and delicious!!

10. Linna Sutton says:

Can you use honey instead of corn syrup?

11. Do you happen to have a recipe for oatmeal cake or fruit cocktail cake? My mother made both & they were so good but I never got her recipe.

There is a recipe for Oatmeal cake listed under cakes, Carol. Just click on the photo on the right hand side of the blog that says Candy, Cakes and Cookies.

• fruit cocktail cake is also called ugly cake ..I found reciepe on line and on a bag of coconut..my grandmother used to make it all the time

12. If it wasn’t 2am I would make it right now

13. oh my goodness..never heard of this pie but..it is wonderful..made one this morning wow is all I can say ..warm pie and hot coffee ..heaven

14. Hi there….I’m planning on making this beautiful pie for Thanksgiving…but Germany doesn’t have corn syrup. So I’ve decided to use honey…will that change the taste of this pie??

I have never tried it with honey, Jessica.

• Substitute for Corn Syrup
      For each cup of light corn syrup in a recipe, substitute 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup water. For each cup of dark corn syrup, substitute 1 cup of packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup water.
      This was found on Taste of Home website

• Jessica, you can use golden syrup. 😉

• You should be able to make your own syrup…look it up online or you can use Kandis with a little water. It should taste better than honey in this recipe.

15. I found this same recipe when my youngest son was just a toddler! Only it was called mock pecan pie! I’m so glad you posted this recipe!

16. Can’t have coconut, can it be left out?

17. linda seidler says:

I can see some apples or cranberries in that pie too

18. I made this for the first time today.. in observance of “National Pie Day” and let me tell you, it didn’t disappoint! Family-tested and approved! Try it, you’ll love it too.

19. Just made this, went back to take a pic and it was GONE lol. I left out the cocnut, soaked some raisins in a lil rum, diced a granny smith and added those. All I can say is YUM-O! Thank you so much for sharing your kitchen with us :)

20. It is so good! I didn’t have any nuts, and ran out of vanilla. So I added some vanilla pudding mix, and a little milk. It was sooo good! My husband stole the pie and took it to work on me!

21. IT IS ALSO GOOD WITH DICED APPLES IF YOU CAN NOT HAVE NUTS IS GOOD REPLACEMENTS.

22. Rachel g Broadnax says:

Looks yummie goin to make today send u pic let u know and u can tell me how I did 😉 tyty 4 sharin <3

23. Can’t wait to try this. Thanks for sharing on the Blog Hop!

24. sounds good. im going to try it with honey and no coconut. might put in raisins. i enjoy your site.good job.

25. This pie is awesome I just made it, so easy my husband says it is great , Thanks

26. John Chandler says:

Hi, I love to cook, this looks really good. I am enjoying watching your recipes on face book, I plan on using some of them. Thanks for sharing.

27. How about apples or applesauce instead of the corn syrup?

28. I’m going to make this tomorrow night for a dinner party, but I might try mashing up some fruit (possibly blueberries) into the mix! Has anyone tried this before?

29. Judy, do you use regular oats or can you use quick cooking Quacker brand oats (not microwave instant oats)

30. Do you think you could leave out coconut? Hubby can’t have it =:( Could I sub something else?

31. Have you ever tried adding chocolate chips?

32. Looks yummy! I’ve never even heard of it! Seems like it would be perfect for this time of the year too.

33. Made this today! Had to leave out the nuts because my hubby doesn’t like them :<, but even so, it was fabulous!!!!! I'd never heard of it before, but I sure will make it often now!!!

34. None of us like oatmeal and I think it’s the texture we don’t like. I try to use it in meatloaf and hamburgers and things like that because it’s soooo good for you. But this sounds soooooo good! I just wonder what you could use instead of corn syrup because that would run my blood sugar up sky high. :) I could use spenda in place of the sugar I think. lol

35. I haven’t had oatmeal pie in a long time. I *pinned* this one and will HAVE to make it soon. It looks sooo delicious! Thanks – enjoy your weekend.

36. This looks really good. I’ve never heard of oatmeal pie before so I’m very intrigued and will definitely be making soon. Thanks Judy!

37. Looks just the food for this time of year. Have a good week-end judy. Take care Yvonne.