I always add cucumbers to most meals during the summer months when in season.  We love them and they are a very rewarding garden crop.  My family likes them raw, creamed, in vinegar and preserved as pickles.  They are one of our favorite vegetables.

This is a favorite way to fix cucumbers in the South. My family loves them.  My mother used to make them this way when I was a child.  So easy and simple but so good with any meal.

2 to 3 medium sized cucumbers, peeled
1 medium onion, sliced
1/4 cup white vinegar (can add more or less)
3 or 4 cups water (enough to cover cucumbers in bowl)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Peel and slice cucumbers in a bowl. Slice onions and break into rings. Add remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.  Will keep for several days in the fridge.   Enjoy!
(Note: I have tried adding other spices, etc. to the water but my family likes them this way only.)
3 or 4 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, peeled and sliced into rings
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup salad dressing or mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon dill
Salt & Pepper to taste
Slice cucumbers and onion into a bowl.  Mix other ingredients separately and whisk together.  Pour over cucumbers and onions. Refrigerate for several hours.  Enjoy!
Don’t Forget to Pin! Cucumbers in Vinegar and Creamed CucumbersFeel free to “share” to Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest by clicking on the buttons below.
Attention Fans

1. Vickie Ruffin Smith says:

I grew up eating cucumbers and onions in vinegar/water. My Momma always made those and I still do today. She would also add sliced beets to these!

2. She would add salt to cucumbers first to get them limp and then drain off. Any recipes out there using cucumbers apple cider vinegar cream and onion. My mom made these all the time and are very delicious. Thanks

3. Stephanie says:

I loved this ,takes me back to younger days!

4. Reading everyone’s comments, brought back memories to me too. My grandmother always kept a bowl of cucumbers and onions in vinegar on her kitchen table in the summer. I love them still, if I have fresh tomatoes from the garden, I add it and a little veg oil and a couple tbsp of sugar. Absolutely love it!

5. Creamy cucumbers is a family tradition come summer. We use it as gravey over boiled potatoes. New baby reds are great I love harvest time.

6. debbie duffy says:

I use equal parts vinegar, oil & vinegar with salt & pepper!

7. Love this eat a lot in the summer.

8. Michelle L. says:

I had never seen Creamed Cucumbers before this post. Made this last night and I absolutely love them, probably more than the regular cucumber and vinegar (although I made both versions last night). I love this site and your posts! It has certainly opened me up to some great southern recipes. Thanks and keep ’em coming!

Thank you Michelle! Happy to have you and happy you are enjoying the recipes. Have a great week.

• if you like slice can beets …pour in jar …add vinegar 2 beet juice and you can even add onions 2 the beets…keep cold …eat each day …Sooooooo Good and Easy…yummy

9. Sharon Markey says:

I love the creamy version.

10. These brought back memories of my Mom and Grandmother who served them all summer long. A cool and tasty treat after playing outside all day. Thank you for posting these recipes. I will be making both this weekend.

11. Try slicing peeled cukes in a bowl, sprinkle with Tony Chacheres ( to taste) pour good seasons Italian dressing ( make according to pkg). Enjoy. I’ve gotten more of my kids friends to eat cukes since doing this.

12. My mother made the Cucumbers and Onions and I loved them, so glad to see this recipe. I will make some soon.

13. I put a little sugar abd dill in with the first recipe

14. make both off these all summer long, To make the creamy one special add some halved grape tomatoes and fried, drained and crumbled bacon. A sure hit with the guys.

15. My mom always made them (I do now) with salt water and onions instead of vinegar. Delicious!

16. LOL! I just fixed a cucumber sandwich with mayo & butter. And thought I’d get on FB to see what’s going on. Its yummy! My favorite is creamy, but my Mom always used the vinegar kind! Have a great day!

17. I am a fan of the creamy version… i do not use salad dressing but i do add vinegar and dill… love them…

18. Jean chaney says:

Made the creamed recipe today! Thank you so much. My husband Larry loved them also!! 🙂

19. how many cucumbers did you use in the recipes? so happy to have found this, had this when I was a kid, many many years ago.

20. Teresa Williams says:

Tried this recipe for creamed cucumbers and loved it . The cucumbers in vinegar has been a favorite all my life .

21. Dynalee Byrd says:

Hi Judy
    I’m thrilled to death have found this blog especially since you are, as I am from ky. I was just there in that heat about a month ago visiting my folks in scottsvegas! (lol scottsville) i have five brothers that live close by in bowling green but i am the wanderer. my mom made me cucumbers and vinegar every night while I was there, I love them. When i was younger she used to have to add another cucumber or two by dinner time so they could go on the table after my many trips by the fridge during the day. I could absolutely eat my weight in cucumbers and pickles.
    I have several times asked my mom how my grandma made the creamy ones and she never knew but thought they had sour cream so i am super excited to have found the creamy recipe on your blog and can’t wait to make them. At times preparing and eating food my grandma made transports me back to time with her…my husband hopes the cucumbers don’t make me cry lol.
    Thank you so much for the time you put into this blog, you are very sweet to connect southern girls to their roots.
    Have a wonderful day

22. brenda hammock says:

23. Sure glad that I found your site! I have made creamy cucumbers for years and everyone loves the addition of the dill weed.

24. Sharon Mccain says:

Try plain yogurt instead of mayo yum!!

25. verna kendall says:

My mothers recipy from years back which we have kept using is – slice cukes THIN salt and leave set awhile. Press out water from cukes and then add vinegar, sugar, onions, to taste. Yummy.

• Chris Montgomery says:

This is also the way my 86 year old grandmother makes them! Thank you for reminding me of this variation. …. <3

26. We add tomatoes also.

27. Could you substitute white vinegar for the cider? Seems like the cider would turn the cukes dark?

28. i just made some cucumbers and onions afew minutes ago we love them too

29. Christie Colvin says:

We do the cukes and onions at my house too but we add in a couple of tablespoons of sugar and about 1/4c. of vegatable oil. The oil isn’t heavy…just gives a “mouth feel”. I made a huge birthday supper last night…but it was the first night of the season to have this salad…it was the dish most remarked on. Go figure…the easiest to make too!

30. My family likes them with the sugar added too, and I use red onions.

31. My mom and now I make a similar cucumber salad. Cucumbers are sliced thin on a mandolin and placed in a bowl with a little salt to sweat the cucumbers for about 30 minutes. Pour off the liquid then add onion, vinigar (either white or apple cider), Dill and sour cream. Chill till ready to serve.

32. My mom also added the tomatoes along with diced green peppers and we called it “garabage”. It was delish.

33. I needed to use up a cucumber today and was thinking about making creamy cucumber salad. I’ll be using your recipe. Thanks for posting it! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

34. I love them too….both ways. Mom always made them with vinegar. Hope you’re feeling good and keeping cool.