This chocolate zucchini cake is so good and gives you another way to use some of that zucchini. This is good with or without the frosting but I think the more chocolate the better. The frosting just completes how good this cake really is. It won’t last long! My family loves this cake and I make it a lot whenever I have zucchini on hand. You might also like our recipe for sour cream zucchini brownies.
Chocolate zucchini Ingredients Needed:
Walnuts or nuts of your choice
Frosting Ingredients Needed:
This cake is wonderful to take to any summer gathering. It is so good and always a hit. You can easily make this cake a day in advance. You can always leave the nuts out if you like. I must admit my family looks forward to this cake every year. It’s just that good!
Recipe feedback: “I made this today. Yum, it is good! I could not stop eating the icing either. Thanks Judy! It’s a nice change from Zucchini bread.” -S.F.
“I had this Chocolate Zucchini Cake for the first time at the Family Re-Union this year. It was great. I even got to bring some home with me. YUM YUM!” -Karen
“This cake is incredible! I will definitely make it again. We always have a lot of zucchini and this is going to stay in our rotation. I never thought this would be this good, but its amazing!” – Jessica
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 stick butter or margarine softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups zucchini shredded
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup walnuts or nuts of your choice
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 2 cups confectionery sugar
- In a large bowl with mixer cream together sugar and butter; Add oil, flour, vanilla, buttermilk, cocoa, eggs and baking soda. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cook in preheated 350 degree oven 35 to 45 minutes until done in center.
- Mix together cocoa, butter, milk and vanilla with mixer. Add sugar, mix well. If too thick, add more milk. Spread over cooled cake.