Sweet potato pone is made with sweet potatoes and molasses and is traditional holiday food. It can be served as a dessert or side dish. I serve it as a side dish. I had not thought about sweet potato pone for years until someone asked me for the recipe on my Facebook page. I like anything with sweet potatoes and so does my family and anytime you add brown sugar, molasses and spices to a sweet potato, you have a good recipe. Southerners love sweet potatoes and will put them in anything. You might want to check out my sweet potato biscuits!
Sweet Potato Pone Ingredients Needed:
3 to 4 large sweet potatoes
Molasses (I used sorghum molasses but can use any kind)
Evaporated milk (can use half n half)
You can easily add nuts to this, we like it with walnuts or pecans. If you serve it for a dessert I would sprinkle with brown sugar before cooking. Top it with whipped topping and pecans for dessert. It’s definitely an old fashioned recipe and very unique. You can make this dish in an 8X8 baking dish or an iron skillet. I used an 8 inch iron skillet for this recipe.
If you love sweet potatoes, check out this delicious sweet potato casserole!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of recipes, country living, great food, southern traditions, cooking tips and so much more. Plus, we send it directly to your email so you can start reading right way!
Sweet Potato Pone
- 3 to 4 large sweet potatoes peeled and grated
- 1/4 stick of butter or margarine or 4 tablespoons softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses I used sorghum molasses but can use any kind
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk can use half n half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cream butter and brown sugar with mixer. Add eggs, molasses, milk, vanilla and spices and continue mixing. Fold in shredded sweet potatoes. Bake in sprayed 8 x 8 casserole dish or 8 inch iron skillet in preheated 350 degree oven about one hour. Makes about 6 to 8 servings.
Be sure and pin this Sweet Potato Pone:
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder