Southern Zucchini hoecakes are a great way to use up that extra zucchini in the garden during summer months. I love simple recipes and these zucchini hoecakes are addictive and so easy to make. I tried to eat them all by myself. You can serve zucchini hoecakes with any meal or as an appetizer. We love them just as a snack with chunky salsa for dipping. A great way to get your children to eat zucchini, too. You might like to check out our recipe for tomato zucchini salad while you are here.
Southern Zucchini hoecakes simple ingredients:
Zucchini, shredded or grated
Bacon drippings (Optional)
Each time I post a recipe with self rising cornmeal I get many responses from people saying they don’t have any or can’t find. You can easily make your own. It’s super easy to make and nice to have on hand for many recipes. Click here for this handy tip!
We always have a lot of zucchini and these hoecakes are easy and delicious. Wonderful addition to any summer meal! Great for entertaining as these are wonderful appetizers.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Southern Zucchini Hoecakes
- 1 cup zucchini shredded or grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- Pinch of cayenne Optional
- 3/4 cup oil I used Canola
- 1 teaspoon bacon drippings Optional
- Blend zucchini, buttermilk, cornmeal, salt and cayenne in a large bowl with a spoon.
- Heat oil and drippings in skillet until hot.
- Drop spoonful of mixture into hot oil. (I used an ice cream scoop).
- Cook on one side until brown and crispy, turn, flatten with spatula and cook on the other side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder. Follow us on Instagram.