SOUTHERN CORNBREAD SALAD
Cornbread salad is one of my favorite recipes and a southern classic. I love making it in summer with garden fresh vegetables but this salad is good anytime. The recipe below is the way I make it for my family. There are so many different ways and so many ingredients you can incorporate into this salad. Just use what you have on hand and find what turns out to be your favorite way to make this. I love making muffins and usually use the leftovers from a meal to make this salad.
Ingredients Need for Cornbread Salad:
Cornbread muffins, crumbled (You can use my recipe for cornbread muffins or a cornbread mix or your own recipe)
Dark red kidney beans
Fresh corn kernels, cooked (can use frozen or canned)
Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
pinch cayenne, (optional)
People that have never tried this great salad always say “I don’t think that would be good”.. then they try it and are shocked at how delicious it is. I have enjoyed this salad over a few days and never found that it was soggy. It was still delicious and a wonderful side dish!
You can add olives, boiled eggs, and any spices you like. You can use just ranch dressing, just mayonnaise, or any combination of salad dressings. This is a wonderful dish to take to gatherings or picnics and most people love this salad. This recipe is a classic that can be found at many church functions, potlucks and BBQ’s all across the south in the summer.
“First time I tried this was years ago in Kentucky with my daughter visiting her husband’s family. One of the uncle’s made this, my daughter and I absolutly loved it. A couple years later I lost her so I never got the receipt. I have not been able to find it. Thank you so much. I’m fixing this next family reunion.” – Mary
Full printable recipe in recipe card below.
- 6 cornbread muffins crumbled (You can use my recipe for cornbread muffins or a cornbread mix or your own recipe)
- 1 small onion chopped (can use green onions or purple onions)
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 15.5 ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (can use pinto beans or any kind you prefer)
- 6 to 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled (can use ham or just about any cooked meat)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels cooked (can use frozen or canned)
- 1 small cucumber peeled and chopped (can add pickles)
- 3 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne (optional)
- Layer first nine ingredients in large salad bowl. Mix together the mayonnaise and ranch dressing with the salt and pepper. Mix into salad. Put salad in refrigerator for several hours or overnight before serving. Makes 10 cups.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Be sure and PIN cornbread salad for later:
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.