These pan yeast rolls will melt in your mouth. They are absolutely delicious and the perfect addition to any gathering! I have made them for years and they are wonderful. My family looks forward to these rolls during the holidays. This recipe was on a box of grits years and years ago and I have been making them ever since! If you love these dinner rolls, you may also like these Honey Cornmeal Rolls.
Pan Yeast Rolls Ingredients Needed:
Instant grits or quick grits, uncooked
Hot water ( I just use hot water from the tap.)
Vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
2 packages of dry yeast (two 1/4 ounce packages or 4 1/2 teaspoons)
I have also made the dough balls larger and placed in a 9 x 13 inch greased cake pan. They will be more like sandwich rolls if made this way. I have been making these rolls for many years and they have always been a hit. They are wonderful with butter. The texture is different with the addition of the grits and we love it.
- I have reheated the whole pan by covering with foil and putting in the oven on a low temperature.
- I use a hand mixer when I make these rolls.
- This makes two pans of rolls, you could cut the recipe in half if you wish.
- The sugar doesn’t make the rolls sweet at all, the sugar helps the rolls rise.
“I experimented with freezing the grits rolls before letting them rise — turned out great! I just took them out of the freezer, covered with a towel, and let them rise overnight. Baked them the next morning. I’ve made these twice now — they are so easy to make! I used the quick grits, and the particles in the dough that was exposed to baking were noticeable. The interior particles were not. Kinda adds a good little crunch to the tops.” – Janet
“I used to make these 35 years ago (!) using the recipe on the instant grits bag. I guess I thought they’d have it forever and never wrote it down, but then it wasn’t there. I grieved! I cannot wait to make these again. By the way, I substituted half whole wheat flour, and the flavor was incredible. Thanks for giving this pre-family tradition back to me for me to share with the family now!”- Jocelyn
Full recipe in printable recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips, and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking, and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join thousands of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Pan Yeast Rolls
- 1 cup instant grits or quick grits uncooked
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups hot water I just use hot water from the tap.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil I use canola oil
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 pkgs dry yeast two 1/4 ounce packages or 4 1/2 teaspoons
- Combine instant grits, sugar, and salt in large bowl. Add water, oil and 2 cups of the flour. Beat 2 minutes on low speed with mixer. Add 1 cup additional flour and yeast. Beat 1 minute on low speed. Stir in additional flour to make soft dough. Turn out on floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Add additional flour if needed.
- Spray two round cake pans and divide dough in half. Shape each half into 18 balls and place in pans. Cover and let rise 1 to 2 hours until doubled in size. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Brush with butter. Makes about 36 rolls. Serve warm.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Be sure and PIN for later:© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.