These Old Fashioned Butter Rolls are delicious! They are unique as they are made with milk poured over them. The bread soaks it up for a wonderful texture and taste. These butter rolls will quickly become a family favorite! These are perfect for Christmas morning.
Old Fashioned Butter Rolls Ingredients Needed:
Shortening (I used Crisco)
Filling ingredients for butter rolls:
Granulated sugar (can use brown sugar)
White or brown sugar
pinch nutmeg (optional)
As you can see these are very common ingredients and most people would have these ingredients on hand. You could easily add nuts before rolling them up or sprinkle on top before you add the topping mixture. From the photos we made these small rolls but you can easily make them larger and have half the amount. Full recipe in printable recipe card below.
“This is just like my mother used to make, which she learned from her mother. Mother grew up on a farm, and she said the ingredients were always to hand. Even though I grew up in the city, I always preferred this to cake for my birthday. The only difference in Mother’s recipe, would have been that she used whole fresh milk with some half and half instead of canned milk. This is SO satisfying and takes me home. Thank you for sharing. Blessings!”- Karen
“Love these!! I lost my mom’s recipe years ago. She made hers chocolate and vanilla sometimes. I loved them as a kid. There is nothing like a good butter roll. So glad I found your recipe.” – Melinda
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Old Fashioned Butter Rolls
Ingredients for butter rolls:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup shortening I used Crisco
- 3/4 cup water
Filling for butter rolls:
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar can use brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons butter divided
Topping for butter rolls:
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup white or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch nutmeg optional
- Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder, cut in the shortening until mixture is like coarse crumbs, add water and make into a ball. Put out onto floured surface and cut in half. Roll each half into an oblong about 6 x 10 inches. Add filling ingredients.
- Whisk together the sugar and cinnamon and spread half over each rolled out piece of dough. Cut six tablespoon butter into small pieces on each piece of dough. Roll each one up as in photo below and cut into 1 inch cinnamon rolls. I got 10 from each one. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish and add butter rolls. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until rolls are done and brown on top. Remove from oven and add topping.
- Whisk together ingredients and pour over butter rolls. Put back into oven for about 15 minutes or until mixture is thick and bubbly. Makes 20 rolls.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Don’t forget to pin old-fashioned butter rolls.
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.