Mandarin Orange Cake is a classic, delicious cake and makes a wonderful dessert for any holiday meal. This cake is also called “Pig Pickin’ Cake or Pig Lickin’ Cake” in the South. An easy summertime dessert to serve family and guests. My family loves this cake and it is one you will make over and over again. This is a great cake to make for Mom for Mother’s Day, too.
Ingredients for Mandarin Orange Cake
Classic Butter Golden Cake Mix
Instant vanilla pudding
Cool Whip, thawed
You do not make this cake the way it is written on the back of the box. You make the cake according to the directions I have given below in the recipe card.
This classic cake is one you will make over and over again. It is the perfect addition to any gathering but seems to be the most popular during the spring and summer holidays. It is very refreshing and wonderful cold right out of the fridge!
Recipe feedback: “This is the best cake I ever made. It was so light and fluffy. It was not too sweet. My family loved this cake!” – Eydie
“This has been a long time favorite of mine, but we call it a Pea-Pickin’ Cake. I always prepared it in a 9×13 pan. It’s perfect for family gatherings or potlucks! ” – Melinda
Note: The original recipe for this cake called for an 11 ounce can of mandarin oranges for the cake. I used a 15 ounce can so I would have extra oranges to decorate the cake with and it worked great. I used all the juice from the 15 ounce can, too. It did not seem to make a difference. You could also bake this cake in 2 layers. You will just have thicker layers. My layers were only about an inch thick. You will not have big layers.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Mandarin Orange Cake
- 1 (15.25 ounce) Duncan Hines Classic Butter Golden Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup cooking oil I use Canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, undrained (Save several of the orange sections to decorate the top of your cake)
- Frosting Ingredients
- 1 (3.4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- You DO NOT make the cake according to the directions on the cake mix. You use the directions here.
- In a large mixing bowl mix all the cake ingredients listed above until well blended. Spray 3 (9 inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Fill each cake pan with about 2 cups of cake mix. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes checking for doneness as ovens vary. Your layers will be thin. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine all the frosting ingredients and mix together with a spoon. I don’t use a mixer for the frosting. Frost cake adding frosting between the layers.
Don’t forget to pin Mandarin Orange Cake.
Click here to follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.