Irish colcannon is a traditional dish of Ireland made with mashed potatoes, cabbage or kale with milk, butter, salt and pepper. If you like cabbage and potatoes, you will love this Irish colcannon. Make it for St. Patrick’s Day to celebrate. Colcannon goes well with ham and would even be good for Easter or just anytime you want something a little different to serve your family and guests. You might also like our recipe for Irish whiskey apple cake.
Irish Colcannon Simple Ingredients:
Cabbage or kale (could use a combination of both)
Evaporated milk (could use regular but the evaporated is richer)
You could add bacon, chives, a little garlic powder or even nutmeg to this dish. This Irish colcannon can be reheated in the oven or microwave. As you can see this is a very easy dish and one your family will love.
If you love traditional recipes for St. Patrick’s Day you will also love this Crock Pot Corned Beef. You can easily make it without the potatoes and serve it with this delicious colcannon. I honestly love this dish so much we make it year round.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
- 6 to 8 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups chopped cabbage or kale could use a combination of both
- 1 stick butter or 8 tablespoons or 1/2 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk could use regular but the evaporated is richer
- Combine cubed potatoes, chopped cabbage and green onions in a large pot on top of the stove. Cover with water, bring to a low boil and cook 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are done.
- Remove from stove and drain. Add the butter, salt, pepper and milk. Mash until like mashed potatoes. I just use a hand potato masher. Spoon into a casserole dish and serve. Can sprinkle on some green onion tops.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.