This recipe for corned beef and cabbage made in the crock pot is easy and good. I did use a five quart crock pot. You can use a smaller one and do about half the cabbage and vegetables. Corned beef and cabbage is delicious and makes a great meal for family and guests. You might also like our recipe for Irish soda bread.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Ingredients Needed:
3 to 4 pound corned beef brisket
4 bay leaves
Beer (If you don’t want to use alcohol, you could use near beer or just add extra chicken broth)
Seasoning packet that comes with brisket
As you can see this is a really simple recipe but it is absolutely delicious. Super easy to make and one of our favorites. It reheats well and great to enjoy for a few days. Add cornbread muffins for a real treat!
Also someone commented you could use gingerale in place of the beer. I have not tried it but I bet it works just fine!
“This recipe was another fantastic hit—-had to make a few last minute modifications. I have a 6 quart crock pot and used half a head of cabbage, and I had a hard time making it all fit! I also had to fill it up with liquid to get the cabbage to cook down. Other than that it came together wonderfully as your recipes do; thanks again!” – Anu
“We made this recipe last St. Paddy’s Day. Excellent! We bought our corned beef last week. We are ready!” – Char
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 3 to 4 pound corned beef brisket
- 5 carrots
- 5 potatoes cut in chunks (I used regular potatoes and peeled them. You can use red potatoes or regular and leave the peelings on as well)
- 1 medium head cabbage cut in wedges
- 1 medium onion peeled and cut up
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 12 ounce can beer (If you don’t want to use alcohol, you could use near beer or just add extra chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine melted
- 1/2 cup water
- Seasoning packet that comes with brisket
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Put brisket in the bottom of the slow cooker and add potatoes, carrots, onion and cabbage on top. Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over brisket and vegetables. Cook on low 7 or 8 hours or high about 5 hours. This makes a five quart crock pot about 3/4 full. Serve with spicy mustard or horseradish.