This old fashioned hummingbird cake is so good. It never lasts long at my house. I read somewhere it is called hummingbird cake because it is so sweet the hummingbirds will eat it! Hummingbird cake will quickly become one of your favorite cakes. This recipe is definitely a classic. This cake is perfect for any occasion and I think the cream cheese frosting makes this cake!
Hummingbird Cake Ingredients Needed:
Oil (I used Canola)
As you can see from the ingredients it’s a simple cake but it is loaded in flavor. The pineapple and the bananas is what makes this cake. So many people enjoy this cake for Easter but we love it for Thanksgiving too.
I like to keep this cake in the fridge since it is made with fruit.
Some of our favorite reviews: “I baked this cake just as the recipe called for. Excellent! I wondered what it would be like the next day as banana cake gets better in the fridge overnight. I never got the chance it was gone in no time! Thanks for this recipe.” – Nancy
“After looking at this recipe for about a year I finally made it last week. Oh my goodness it is wonderful. Now that the trial run is out of the way…haha!….this will be dessert for thanksgiving!…I’ve passed the recipe on. Thank you!!!” – Lynn
“This is the BEST cake I have ever made using this recipe! I have made it several times since I caught this recipe a few months back and am going to make it for Easter…” – Linda
“Served this cake at Thanksgiving dinner and my family loved it!” -Sandra
Full recipe in recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oil I used Canola
- 1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups bananas mashed or about 3 large bananas
- 1 1/2 cups pecans chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter or margarine or 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons
- 3.5 cups confectionery sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Combine flour, sugar, soda, salt, cinnamon. Mix together with whisk. Add eggs, vanilla extract, oil, pineapple, bananas and pecans and mix with a spoon until all ingredients are wet.
- Spray 3 (9 inch) round cake pans or a 9 x 13 inch pan. Add batter and bake in preheated 350 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes until cake is done in center.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions
- Whip all frosting ingredients together with mixer until smooth and of spreading consistency.