Hamburger and rice casserole is a great weeknight meal.
This hamburger and rice casserole is so versatile, makes great comfort food for your family and is so easy to throw together on a busy work night. This recipe could easily be cut in half for just a couple of people and should freeze well. You can make it your own by adding your favorite spices. You could add corn or chili peppers along with another meat you like. It could easily be made into a Mexican dish or just change up the cheese to your favorite. Serve with our recipe for pimento cheese cornbread or whatever bread you prefer. This is such an easy dish to prepare in little time that I make it often when I need something in a hurry.
Hamburger and rice casserole will become a favorite comfort food recipe.
1 pound hamburger
1/2 cup chopped regular or green onion
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of celery soup, undiluted
1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 1/4 cups minute rice, uncooked
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Brown hamburger, green pepper, celery and onion in a skillet on top of the stove, drain if needed. Stir in cream of celery soup, beef broth, rice, onion soup mix and black pepper. Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle on shredded cheese. Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes. Makes about 8 servings. Can add chopped green onions on top for a garnish. Enjoy!
Rice tip: When you have leftover plain rice from a meal, if stored correctly it will keep 4 to 6 days refrigerated. Do not leave out of refrigerator for more than 2 hours.
Hamburger and Rice Casserole
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1/2 cup chopped regular or green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of celery soup undiluted
- 1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups minute rice, uncooked
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown hamburger, green pepper, celery and onion in a skillet on top of the stove, drain if needed. Stir in cream of celery soup, beef broth, rice, onion soup mix and black pepper.
- Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle on shredded cheese. Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes.
Don’t forget to pin hamburger and rice casserole.
Are you reading our digital publication, Front Porch Life? If you like country living, great recipes, southern charm, cooking tips, relaxation and good people, then you’ll love it. Plus, we send it directly to your email so you can start reading and relaxing immediately!
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.