Creamed peas and potatoes are a favorite side dish with my family. Creamed peas is an old fashioned recipe that my mother used to make. We made them with fresh peas from the garden during summer and with peas from the freezer during winter. We had them on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas and all during the year because everyone loved this recipe. You might also like our recipe for yummy corn casserole.
Creamed Peas and Potatoes Ingredients Needed:
Russet potatoes (can use red potatoes)
Green onion (can use regular onion)
Evaporated milk (can use regular milk)
Frozen green peas (can use fresh peas)
This dish is easy to make for any gathering and always a hit during the holidays. If you love easy side dishes, this Mashed Potato Casserole is also a popular recipe. You will also want to add this twist on a classic.. this Sausage Biscuit Dressing.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Creamed Peas and Potatoes
- 3 large russet potatoes can use red potatoes
- 3 slices bacon cooked crisp
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion can use regular onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk (can use regular milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen green peas (can use fresh peas)
- Peel the potatoes and cut into pieces. You can leave peelings on but I don't. Cover with water and bring to a boil on stove. Cook potato pieces about 8 minutes. Do not overcook or they will become mushy.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet on top of the stove, remove and drain, set aside. Save 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings in the skillet. Add the butter and onion to the bacon drippings and saute' onions. Sprinkle in flour and pour in milk and cook until mixture starts to thicken like you are making gravy. You don't want it too thick.
- Pour in peas and drained potatoes. Add salt and pepper. Turn heat to low for peas to cook. Only takes about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and crumble bacon on top.
Don’t forget to pin creamed peas and potatoes.
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder