Cinnamon flop cake is an old-fashioned recipe your mother or grandmother may have made years ago. It is really easy and is wonderful for breakfast with coffee. If you love cinnamon, (my family can’t get enough of it), you will absolutely love this cake. Make is when you need something in a hurry for dessert because it would be great with whipped cream or ice cream. It makes a great gift. Just double the recipe and make two and give one to a friend.
Cinnamon Flop Cake Ingredients Needed?
White granulated sugar
Topping Ingredients for Cake:
Brown sugar light or dark
It keeps well in a cool spot for several days and is easily reheated in the microwave or oven. The butter, brown sugar and cinnamon that is added to the top will soak into the cake while it is cooking to make a delicious flavor. Your house will smell wonderful, too. Don’t ask me why it is called flop cake because I have no idea! I have added a powdered sugar glaze to this cake but it really does not need it. You might also like to check out our recipe for honey bun cake.
I added a simple powdered sugar glaze to the top of this and it was a wonderful addition! This cake is fantastic and so simple to make. Definitely save this one. It would be a great addition to any brunch!
Tips on Cinnamon: Cinnamon should keep for at least six months in a dark cool, dry place. Do not store near heat. Rub a pinch between your fingers and smell to see if fresh or taste it. Cinnamon should have a sweet spicy flavor. Cinnamon sticks stay fresh for about a year. Some studies show that cinnamon helps to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Cinnamon Flop Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
Topping ingredients for Cake:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a bowl. Stir in melted butter, vanilla extract, buttermilk and egg. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. I have made this in a deep dish pie plate and a 9 x 9 baking dish, both work fine. Spread cake batter in dish.
- In a bowl whisk together the dark brown sugar and cinnamon for topping. Pour in melted butter and mix until all ingredients are wet. (I just do this with my hands) Sprinkle over cake batter. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes until center tests done. Makes 1 layer cake or 6 to 8 cake slices.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Click here to follow us on Instagram. © The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.