Salads are a favorite at my house especially during the summer months. This Bacon and Mandarin Orange Spinach Salad is one of our favorites. If it has bacon, I like it! This salad is very versatile and you can make it your own by adding other fruits, nuts, etc. You may also love this seven layer salad.
SPINACH SALAD INGREDIENTS NEEDED:
Bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
Fresh baby spinach
Purple onion, cut up or chopped
Toasted sesame seeds
DRESSING INGREDIENTS NEEDED:
Red wine vinegar
Mandarin orange syrup
This is a very refreshing salad and wonderful side dish to any meal. The dressing really does take this salad to the next level and you could easily add almonds or pecans in place of the sesame seeds. Pineapple combined with the oranges would be a great addition too. Very versatile salad.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately!
Bacon and Mandarin Orange Spinach Salad
- 5 pieces bacon cooked, drained and crumbled (save drippings)
- 1 15 ounce can mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained, reserve syrup (You could use fresh oranges in the salad and orange juice in the dressing
- 2 to 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup purple onion cut up or chopped (could use green onion or just regular onion)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds could use toasted almonds or just about any kind of nuts you like
- 3 to 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup light mandarin orange syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar Optional
- Combine salad ingredients and toss to mix well. Combine dressing ingredients and heat until warm. I put my dressing in a small pitcher like a cream pitcher and let each person add the amount they want at the table. Salad will keep in the fridge for a couple days without dressing.
Don’t Forget to Pin this great salad!
Follow us on Instagram!
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.