FRESH TOMATO BREAD

Fresh Tomato Bread TSLC

This recipe for Fresh Tomato Bread will go great with any meal.  This bread is good toasted with butter, too.  A great way to use up some of your fresh tomatoes from the garden.

2 cups all-purpose flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon oregano

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter, melted

2 eggs

1/2 cup sour cream

1 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing

1/3 cup chopped onion

1 cup peeled and chopped or mashed tomatoes

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

TSLCCOOKBOOKBANNER1

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, oregano, black pepper and salt.  Add melted butter, eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, mayonnaise, chopped onion and tomatoes.  Mix well with a spoon.  Fold in cheese.  Spray a 9 x 5 bread pan with cooking spray.  Add your bread mixture.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 60 to 65 minutes checking to see if bread is done since ovens vary.  Makes 1 loaf.  Enjoy!

Note:  I have not tried this bread any other way other than the recipe nor have I tried freezing it.  I had an abundance of ripe tomatoes and just came up with the recipe for the first time this week. If your tomatoes are really juicy, you might try draining some of the juice before adding to the recipe.

Tip:  To easily remove the peeling from tomatoes submerge in boiling water for 15 seconds and remove with a slotted spoon. Skins will slip right off.

Fresh Tomato Bread - TSLC

If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Tomato Pie.

Don’t forget to pin!

Fresh Tomato Bread

Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter buttons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below.

e-mail signup TSLC

1. Sandy Ritter says:

Made the bread today, I had to use 2 tomatoes. I tested the bread to see if it was done and it show no crumbs do I I took it out and it was beautiful, then it fell in 2 places. It’s very moist and the taste taste is very good. Why did it fall?

The most common reason for quick breads to collapse as they cool is the ingredients are too vigorously or quickly mixed, which incorporates lots of less stable air bubbles into the batter. As the bread cooks, those air bubbles make it rise, but because they are unstable then collapses as it sits.

2. Wendy Simpson says:

Can I use cake flour?

3. made this and it turned out good. I did find it to be a very dense bread but very tasty. Thanks

4. The Southern Lady says:

Posting comments taken from the Facebook page from fans that made the bread:
    Bethany Joy Harvey I made this gluten free~then I made a warm cheese dip and broke off pieces and dipped~very yummy! it was great gluten free alone though too! thanks for a great recipe!
    Sandy Smith I made it!!!! Good!!! Has to bake a little longer. I put bacon pieces in.
    Kathy Gabbard Foust Awesome tried it.
    Lisa Galloup Soderstrom Thisi is so awesome with Tomato Soup, or even with a warm cheese dip!

5. Can this be frozen? I would love to have this later in the fall with a bowl of soup. If so how long can it be frozen for?

6. I just made this today! Doubled the recipe to use up as many of the fresh tomatoes as I could. I made a normal sized bread loaf pan size and 4 mini loaves, and still had enough left for 6 muffin size too! The bread is delicious! So fresh tasting, a great way to use the fresh tomatoes everyone is giving us lately! Thanks so much for the recipe!

7. Wow! Looks wonderful! I’m baking this for dinner.

8. Do different kinds of tomatoes matter? Example: Romas (less juicy) vs. beefsteak (more juicy).

I have used several different red tomatoes. I don’t think it would matter Kerri.

• OMG!!! (Oh my gravy!) This bread is deeeelicious!! I made this yesterday for my family’s Sunday get-together and we devoured it!! Next time I will make 2 loaves!! Thank you so much for the recipe :)

Thank you Kerri! So happy your family enjoyed the bread.Thank you for letting me know.

9. This sounds amazing. Can’t wait til I get a lot of tomatoes cause I will definitely try this. Wonderful idea for using them up for sure. Pinning!

10. Use an instant read thermometer. Breads should be 200-210 degrees when done.

11. Love your Recipe

12. Mayo vs salad dressing….I use them specific for the salad etc. , that I am making…dressing is sweeter and less thick than mayo…so my question is which do you personally recommend for this tomato bread recipe? Thanks, Peggy

13. How many tomatoes

Enough to make a cup. I would think it would depend on the size of your tomatoes as to how many it takes.

14. The recipe calls for a 9×5″ pan but that doesn’t look like it in the picture. Is that the recipe doubled and in a 9×13″? Thanks in advance. Eager to bake this!

That is a 9 x 5 bread dish. It is probably the way the camera took the picture that makes it look that way.