CHOCOLATE OATMEAL CAKE

Chocolate Oatmeal Cake - TSLC

This Chocolate Oatmeal Cake is to die for!  If you like chocolate, you will love this cake.

2 cups boiling water

1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine or 3/4 cup or 12 tablespoons, softened

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons 100% pure cocoa

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup pecan halves (Could use walnuts)

TSLCCOOKBOOKBANNER1

Place oats in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes.  In a mixing bowl using a mixer cream together brown sugar, white sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk together the flour, salt, cocoa, baking soda and cinnamon.  Add the flour to the creamed mixture along with the oats.  Mix well with mixer.  Fold in 1 cup of the chocolate chips and pour batter into a sprayed 9 x 13 baking dish.  Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top of the batter along with the nuts.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 35-45 minutes checking for doneness as ovens vary.  This cake does not need frosting.  Enjoy!

Chocolate Oatmeal Cake - TSLC (2)

If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake.

Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or E-mail buttons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below.

Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 23,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder

1. [email protected] says:

Can this cake be frozen?

2. I made your chocolate oatmeal cake tonight,,it was very good,I used old fashion oats it’s what I had.turned out great, hubby and daughter loved it,I did to, thanks

3. [email protected] says:

Light or dark brown sugar?

4. Not sure what jenjamjess3 is talking about. I got your recipe from Facebook and that’s the one I used. Made it for the family and for a New Year’s party and it disappeared like magic. SOOOO good. Love your site as well. Lots of great recipes here.

5. Bill Gibron posted his version of the recipe I was just questioning that –

(This Chocolate Oatmeal Cake is to die for! If you like chocolate, you will love this cake. 2 cups boiling water 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked 1 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup white sugar 1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine or 3/4 cup or 12 tablespoons, softened 3 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 […]) the use of softened eggs? I think he made a typo.

I have your recipe copied out, I had just made an oatmean cake but next time I’ll use yours and see how we like the chocolate version. Thanks

• LOL it isn’t the eggs that are softened. There is a comma missing in there. It is the butter or margarine that is softened.

6. This cake was absolutely amazing. Have made it twice already…

So happy you are enjoying this cake, Bill. Thank you for being a part of the site and trying my recipes.

7. Was delighted to see this cake. A best friend of mine, now deceased, always talked about an oatmeal cake made with cooked oatmeal. This sounds like it fills the bill. Can’t wait to try it. Second thing is wow it’s also chocolate. Thanks for the post.

8. Daisy aparrado says:

Loved it. It is so moist.. And I. Felt I was eating healthy with oatmeal in it.,

9. do you drain the oats before adding?

10. do the chocolate chips melt in the cake….

11. Gracious me! I LOVE oatmeal cake, but have never tried a chocolate version. If you say it’s wonderful, I know it must be. Thanks for sharing. Happy 2014 to you and yours!

12. socorro cascabel says:

im wanna try this oatmeal cake

13. Will rolled oatmeal do. Never buy quick oatmeal.

I only make it with the quick cooking oatmeal.

• Linda Yes you can use the regular rolled oats, just leave them in the hot water for 20 minutes. I use them all the time in a oatmeal cake, turns out great. But I will be trying this chocolate version.