These Seven-Layer Bars are addictive.  I can’t stop eating them and they are great for an after school snack for children or to go in the lunchbox.

1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine or 12 tablespoons, melted

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 cup coconut

1 cup chocolate chips

1 cup butterscotch chips

1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk (the sweetened kind, not evaporated)

1 cup nuts of your choice (I use walnuts), chopped

Pour the melted butter into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.  Add the graham cracker crumbs and press into the margarine to make bottom layer.  Add the coconut, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.  Drizzle the milk over the chips and sprinkle the nuts on top.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes until brown.  Cool and cut into bars.  Enjoy!

7-Layer Bars

Note:  These keep well in or out of the fridge.  If refrigerated, you may need to heat each bar in the microwave for a few seconds before eating. I love these for a snack when I am craving something sweet and they are good with milk or coffee, too.

You may also like:

Crunchy Peanut Butter Balls

Rocky Road Bars

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Swirls

If these sound good.. then check out our “Sweet Things” Cookbook.

e-mail reminder TSLC

Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.

1. I don’t have any graham crackers in my cupboard but I do have leftover chocolate chip cookies. What would happen if I put the chocolate chip cookies in my Cuisinart and make crumbs out of them and then added them to the melted butter and press them to the bottom of the pan??

2. sandra hardway says:

Sometimes I substitute peanut butter chips instead of choc and oatmeal for the coconut. Makes wonderful bars.

3. My sons can’t have chocolate can raisins be used instead and can raisins be added to the original recipe for the rest of the family.

4. really good thanks

5. Pingback: Seven Layer Bars - Food For The Holidays

6. Debra Lucas says:

Would these work if you left out the coconut ? Or is there something else I could use in its place as my Husband hates coconut ?

7. I don’t like coconut but I bet they would still be good even without it!

8. Eagle Brand Milk calls them Magic Cookie Bars and leaves out the butterscotch chips. One of our favorites.

Thanks for the reminder!

9. this does sound very nice ,but i am from the uk what is a stick of butter.? could anyone please let me know.

10. Linda blottenberger says:

I make these every Christmas , we call them Hello Dollies… them!

11. Christina Saddler says:

I been making these for years except i use a chocolate cake mix with one stick of butter softened mix together and press crust on a 10.5 x 15 cookie sheet as the crust and I call them Almost Candy Bar Cookies

12. A Holiday staple since my childhood ! So easy, mess free, and yummy !

13. I haven’t made this in years but always loved them will have to make the again soon

14. Jayne Adler says:

I use chocolate graham crackers and skip the butterscotch chips for a different variation to this vintage recipe that I love.

15. I tried these and although they are awesome and I will make them again, next time I am going to try mixing the condesed milk into everything else. I had alot of dry crumbly pieces.

16. Another favorite of mine! This is a great recipe to use for a last minute desert to take somewhere or have at home for visitors…OR just me! Ha! Sheila from MyKentuckyLiving.

17. I have Celiac Disease (Gluten Free) would the Gluten Free Chex cereal work in this recipe?

I don’t know Linda. I think you could use it but have never tried it.

• If you can find gluten free graham crackers use them. If you can’t find them use gluten free shortbread cookies, just cut down on the butter.

18. Frances E. Howe says:

This is an old recipe but it is wonderful. Very addictive.

19. What a yummy bar.. I’d eat the whole pan I bet! xx

20. wanda f. grubbs alexander says:

these sounds so amazing and so easy ..I will be making these tonight ,Thank You so much for all your hard work .Putting all the nice things for us to try…

• I have made these, but they are not crunchy in the bottom. They are soggy. What am I doing wrong? My grandboys always eat them, but mine do not look like the picture. I use a 9×13 glass dish? Any suggestions?