I love simple recipes and these hoecakes are addictive and so easy to make.   I tried to eat them all by myself.   You can serve these with any meal or as an appetizer.  We love them just as a snack with chunky salsa for dipping.  A great way to get your children to eat zucchini, too.

1 cup zucchini, shredded or grated
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup self-rising cornmeal
Pinch of cayenne (Optional)
3/4 cup oil (I used Canola)
1 teaspoon bacon drippings (Optional)
Blend zucchini, buttermilk, cornmeal, salt and cayenne in a large bowl with a spoon.  Heat oil and drippings in skillet until hot.  Drop spoonful of mixture into hot oil. (I used an ice cream scoop).  Cook on one side until brown and crispy, turn, flatten with spatula and cook on the other side.  Remove and drain on paper towels.  Makes about 10 to 12 hoecakes.  Enjoy!
Note:  You could add chili peppers or onions to these, too, but we like them this way. I would probably add an egg if I added more ingredients.
Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.

1. thank you for this recipe!!! with grilled shrimp and homemade tater salad! I was born and raised in Louisville! Will definitely be back to peruse your recipes, loved the crock pot section!

So happy to have you on the site, Jacque, and always happy to meet another Kentuckian! I hope you enjoy the recipes.

2. Wanda BENHAM says:

Does any one have the biscuit type hoecake recipe? Squeezed off the dough, rolled, patted about 11/2 in thick. Placed in iron skillet and cooked on top of stove! So good and the smell was unbelievable!?

3. do u peal the zucchin?

4. Love these but we used alot more grated zucchini 🙂

5. Pingback: Weekly Rays of Sunshine #39 | Recipes and Ramblings with the Tumbleweed Contessa

6. Valerie Williams says:

I make these all the time. I find that squeezing the shredded zucchini in a clean tea towel gets the excess water out. I do add an egg to mine, and some Old Bay.

7. Can you use reg milk or sour milk instead of buttermilk.

8. Raul molina jr says:

every thing is awsome!!!!

9. Linda Mullins says:

These are great made with yellow squash too.

10. Pingback: POTATO, HAM & BROCCOLI SOUP « The Southern Lady Cooks – Soups, Stews and Salads

11. Pingback: POTATO, HAM & BROCCOLI SOUP « The Southern Lady Cooks

12. Hoecakes were made by slaves on the edge of the field for their midday meal. They would take the corn meal and mix it up and bake it on the blades of their hoes over an open fire. That is why they are called hoecakes.

13. Now I KNOW what to do with the extra zucchini 🙂

14. I added a very finely chopped jalapeno from the garden instead of the pinch of cayenne. They came out light, crispy and good without the need of an egg or anything.

15. Those look awesome. So perfectly golden and round.

16. I thought hoecakes were just pancakes to put syrup on. These look really delicious. I guess you can sneak a little zucchini in most any recipe 🙂 I learned something today…Thanks

17. We don’t have self rising corn meal here, is there a way to make regular corn meal work?

18. Christy McCall says:

I was so excited to see this recipe because I’ve got some zucchini I don’t know what to do with. I do have 2 questions. What is the difference between shredded and grated zucchini? I just have regular cornmeal. Can I add something to it to make it self-rising?

• Hi Christy, Add 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons regular cornmeal together to make self-rising cornmeal. Shredded is like little strips and grated is more like finely chopped. Either will work. I just use a hand grater and grate on the big side.

19. I can’t believe I have never had these before…they sound great.