This pie is to die for.  It is very rich and creamy and won’t last long!

1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
2 tablespoons margarine
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg yokes (Save whites for meringue)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large bananas, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Bake pie crust according to package directions.  Let cool.  Toss sliced bananas with lemon juice and spread bananas in the bottom of the baked pie shell.  In a pot on top of the stove, mix milk, salt, egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla with a spoon or whisk. Add margarine in one piece.  Cook on medium high heat about 5 to 7 minutes stirring constantly with whisk.  This will burn easily. Mixture will thicken like pudding.  Remove from heat and pour over sliced bananas.  Let cool before adding meringue.  Makes one pie.
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat egg whites with mixer, add sugar and vanilla, and continue beating until peaks form.  Spread on top of pie covering entire pie.  Place under oven broiler until browned or bake in preheated 350 degree oven until brown on top.
You may also enjoy:
Chocolate Chess Pie
Buttermilk Pie
Easy Coconut Custard Pie
Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or E-mail buttons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below. Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss new posts when they come out! Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have almost 22,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

1. Lisa Eadler says:

I made this tonight and it turned out perfect!!!

2. Lisa Eadler says:

Might be a silly question but should this pie be refrigerated?

3. I’m a “seasoned” baker, and I even tried this recipe twice thinking I made a mistake. No, I followed it to the “T”. It was a huge disappointment – both times. Too runny, too lumpy and the taste was awful. I pulled out my old cook book from the 60’s and used their banana cream recipe-it was out of this world great and my family loved it. Don’t waste your time on this one. The picture is very misleading.

I don’t know what you are doing but I make this recipe all the time with no problems and it is gone in no time. The photo is exactly like it comes out every time I make it. We can’t all like every recipe and we can’t always make every recipe. Sorry, it did not work for you and happy you found one that does. It sounds like you are not letting the filling get thick enough if your pie is runny. I hope you did not try to bake it since you said you are a seasoned baker. You don’t bake this pie.

4. Lorraine VanWhy says:

Will have to try this pie!

5. Reblogged this on A Wired Woman's Thoughts and commented:
    My husband’s favorite pie, he is always asking why I don’t make one. Well, no more excuses, right? 🙂

6. I love cream pies – this looks creamy and dreamy. MMMM!

7. Tamela Carroll says:

makes my mouth water just looking at it, lol