BANANA CREAM PIE

this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.

TSLCBananaCreamPie

Banana cream pie is to die for.  It is very rich and creamy and won’t last long!  This is an old fashioned recipe for banana cream pie that I can remember my mother and sister making many years ago.  This banana cream pie will melt in your mouth and this will become one of your favorite recipes.  This pie is a great way to use up bananas and your family and friends will love you for it.  Children will love this pie if they like bananas.  Serve a big slice of this banana cream pie for dessert with coffee anytime.

1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
2 tablespoons margarine
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg yokes (Save whites for meringue)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large bananas, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Bake pie crust according to package directions.  Let cool.  Toss sliced bananas with lemon juice and spread bananas in the bottom of the baked pie shell.  In a pot on top of the stove, mix milk, salt, egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla with a spoon or whisk. Add margarine in one piece.  Cook on medium high heat about 5 to 7 minutes stirring constantly with whisk.  This will burn easily. Mixture will thicken like pudding.  Remove from heat and pour over sliced bananas.  Let cool before adding meringue.  Makes one pie.

TSLCBananaCreamPie1

Meringue

3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat egg whites with mixer, add sugar and vanilla, and continue beating until peaks form.  Spread on top of pie covering entire pie.  Place under oven broiler until browned or bake in preheated 350 degree oven until brown on top.

You may also enjoy:
Chocolate Chess Pie
Buttermilk Pie
Easy Coconut Custard Pie
Don’t Forget to Pin Banana Cream Pie!

Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter icons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the green printer icon below.

1. Lisa Eadler says:

I made this tonight and it turned out perfect!!!

2. Lisa Eadler says:

Might be a silly question but should this pie be refrigerated?

3. I’m a “seasoned” baker, and I even tried this recipe twice thinking I made a mistake. No, I followed it to the “T”. It was a huge disappointment – both times. Too runny, too lumpy and the taste was awful. I pulled out my old cook book from the 60’s and used their banana cream recipe-it was out of this world great and my family loved it. Don’t waste your time on this one. The picture is very misleading.

I don’t know what you are doing but I make this recipe all the time with no problems and it is gone in no time. The photo is exactly like it comes out every time I make it. We can’t all like every recipe and we can’t always make every recipe. Sorry, it did not work for you and happy you found one that does. It sounds like you are not letting the filling get thick enough if your pie is runny. I hope you did not try to bake it since you said you are a seasoned baker. You don’t bake this pie.

4. Lorraine VanWhy says:

Will have to try this pie!

5. Reblogged this on A Wired Woman's Thoughts and commented:
    My husband’s favorite pie, he is always asking why I don’t make one. Well, no more excuses, right? 🙂

6. I love cream pies – this looks creamy and dreamy. MMMM!

7. Tamela Carroll says:

makes my mouth water just looking at it, lol